Looking To Upgrade X79 System To X470 Or Z370, $400 Budget

g-unit1111

Titan
So as the title says, my X79 work rig has been serving me well for the last few years but it's been quite a bit sluggish lately. I use it for CAD (AutoDesk) and rendering (Sketchup Pro). So here's the current configuration. Right now I am *ONLY* looking to upgrade the motherboard and CPU, I am not looking to upgrade anything else at the moment. I have 16GB of Corsair DDR4-3000 that I will use in this system. No RGB prefereable.

- Corsair Carbide 500R
- Seasonic X 750 Gold
- MSI X79A-GD45 Plus
- Intel Core i7-3820
- Cryorig H5
- 16GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600 MHz
- SanDisk 240 GB SSD
- 1TB Samsung HD
- MSI GTX 970

So the configurations I'm looking at right now are either:

- Ryzen 5-2600X + Asrock X470 motherboard
- Intel Core i5-8400 + B360 motherboard

What would be the better option between the two? I'm more heavily leaning toward the Ryzen than the Intel but I am open to suggestions.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Within the next two weeks

Budget Range: (e.g.: 300-400): $400 Max

System Usage from Most to Least Important: See above

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: (e.g.: CPU, mobo, RAM): Motherboard and CPU only

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Location: City, State/Region, Country: California, USA (I have access to a Micro Center)

Parts Preferences: Motherboard doesn't really matter, I will use anything that is good

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2 x 1920 x 1080

You could just upgrade your CPU to a used i7-3960x and save some money. It overclocks to about the same speed as an overclocked Ryzen 2600x. It has faster default multicore speed than an 8400 and is all around as fast or faster when overclocked.

You can also upgrade to an i7-4930K. Which will OC slightly higher.

Really the Ryzen and i5-8400 are just more energy efficient and offer some other options like NVMe support. You can always get USB 3.1 Gen 2 cards if you wanted that. Pretty much you'd just spend more money for what is effectively a side-grade from the i7-3960x or i7-4930K. Of course if you sell your current CPU, Motherboard and RAM. You can probably get back $200 to $250 after eBay fees and shipping.

As for a new CPU. I would take the Ryzen over the Intel. Due to its faster multi-core speeds.

g-unit1111

Titan

I actually did think about going that route but the last time I checked 4930K CPU prices they were about the same as getting a new R5-2600X. I figure I might as well get a new board then.

Really the Ryzen and i5-8400 are just more energy efficient and offer some other options like NVMe support. You can always get USB 3.1 Gen 2 cards if you wanted that. Pretty much you'd just spend more money for what is effectively a side-grade from the i7-3960x or i7-4930K. Of course if you sell your current CPU, Motherboard and RAM. You can probably get back $200 to $250 after eBay fees and shipping.

I would like to add an NVME drive to this system which is one of the main reasons for the upgrade at some point since they are very inexpensive right now but that would be later on.

Will you be selling your current motherboard, CPU and RAM? In that case it is probably cheaper to get the new CPU and motherboard. I had not noticed previously you already own 16GB DDR4 RAM. It may even allow you to go with a faster CPU. Since for your work. The more cores the better.

Speaking of RAM. I don't know what specific model of Corsair RAM you have. Ryzen is a bit finicky. I went with an MSI motherboard as they have a lot of Corsair models in their QVL. I've also heard MSI is less finicky. It's still best to check. All I'm seeing for Corsair 3200 on this board indicate modules using Hynix B and C chips with Pinnacle Ridge CPU. You may have trouble if they use Samsung chips.
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X470%20Gaming%20K4/index.asp#MemoryPR

If you don't have one already. You'll need to contact Cryorig about an AM4 mounting bracket for your H5.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($219.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Total: $379.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-13 13:49 EDT-0400

FYI, if you were brazen enough. You could mod the BIOS on your X79 to add NVMe support. Then use a PCIe M.2 adapter. Although if you screw up. Your motherboard is toast if it doesn't have dual BIOS.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah after checking the eBay prices it was definitely cheaper to get a new board and CPU. Especially since I saw the deal yesterday where you could get an 1800X for $239 right now. I'll reuse my Cryorig H5 and I have the AM4 mounting bracket for it, but I think I would have to get some new thermal compound. If I could get a decent B350 or X370 board without breaking the bank I would totally go for it.

Speaking of RAM. I don't know what specific model of Corsair RAM you have. Ryzen is a bit finicky. I went with an MSI motherboard as they have a lot of Corsair models in their QVL. I've also heard MSI is less finicky. It's still best to check. All I'm seeing for Corsair 3200 on this board indicate modules using Hynix B and C chips with Pinnacle Ridge CPU. You may have trouble if they use Samsung chips.
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/Fatal1ty%20X470%20Gaming%...

The part number I have is CMK16GX4M3C3000C16. It's Vengeance LPX. I know 1st gen Ryzen is particularly picky about RAM (one of my home rigs uses a R7-1700) but wouldn't the BIOS kinks regarding the RAM have been worked out by now or not? I would think they would have.

FYI, if you were brazen enough. You could mod the BIOS on your X79 to add NVMe support. Then use a PCIe M.2 adapter. Although if you screw up. Your motherboard is toast if it doesn't have dual BIOS.

Definitely *NOT* going that route, I can't risk having any downtime.

If you want a higher end board. You can always use that X470 with an 1800x. You can also get the X370 variant of the same model. Arguably the best B350 is the ASUS Strix B350-f.

The part number I have is CMK16GX4M3C3000C16. It's Vengeance LPX. I know 1st gen Ryzen is particularly picky about RAM (one of my home rigs uses a R7-1700) but wouldn't the BIOS kinks regarding the RAM have been worked out by now or not? I would think they would have.

Wrong link MSI X470 Link
I can't find that model RAM on a Google search. Is it supposed to be CMK16GX4M2C3000C16? That model is in the support list. Well, version 3.31 is.

Ryzen has improved but still not as widely compatible as Intel. RAM should still work fine at 2133/2400 mhz. It's the overclocked speeds which are the issue.

Definitely *NOT* going that route, I can't risk having any downtime.

Don't blame you. I'm considering testing some day on my Z77. But it has dual BIOS. I can just flip a switch to use the backup BIOS then re-flash the bad BIOS.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yes I was looking at that board but I can get the Aorus X370 for slightly cheaper.

Ryzen has improved but still not as widely compatible as Intel. RAM should still work fine at 2133/2400 mhz. It's the overclocked speeds which are the issue.

I wouldn't overclock the RAM beyond enabling XMP. That's what I have done with most of my systems so far - both Intel and AMD.

If you are looking at the GA-AX370-Gaming 5. That is a good board too.

I wouldn't overclock the RAM beyond enabling XMP. That's what I have done with most of my systems so far - both Intel and AMD.

I' was just referring to XMP profiles when I mentioned overclocking RAM.

Anyways CMK16GX4M2C3000C16 ver3.31 is on the Gigabyte's QVL. I'd just double check your modules. Since you wrote, CMK16GX4M3C3000C16. Even if XMP didn't work. I'd think manually entering the timings would. As the Gigabytes shows compatibility with Corsair 3000Mhz RAM using Samsung, Hynix and Micron chips. Which pretty well covers the gamut.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah this is the one I was looking at:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145001

It's slightly cheaper than that B350 Asus board, and I would think with a BIOS update I could run the 2nd gen Ryzens as well.

Solution