[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade...

Plyman69

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
So I have been using my current system for awhile and looking to have a custom build. However I really loved the versatility of my current board X58A-UD5. I am looking for another MB that is as versatile and stable as this. Not sure really whats the best MB at this time based on price. Also I am only looking to run a single monitor and I do some gaming but nothing crazy intense. I think the most demanding game is Company of Heroes 2. So I am not sure if i should go the LGA1151 route or go to wards an AMD route. Like i said some gaming here single screen monitor - 30 inch looking for 4k monitor specs at this time. Thanks in advance for your assistance

Solution
Something like this - but of course things can be changed to whatever you want maybe dont want psu
maybe slower cpu and get newer ones ion 4 months (ryzen 3000)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (€158.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (€137.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€127.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€123.69 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
X58 is the High End Desktop Platform. Today's equivalent would be X299 from Intel or X399 from AMD.

These are typically your larger scale high core count CPUs and motherboards with ALL the features, multi-channel memory, many PCIe lanes, and many I/O capabilities.

What features on the X58A-UD5 are you looking to have again?

There are certainly LGA1151 and AM4 motherboards that offer almost every feature or better it has. Aside from triple channel memory. Though the DDR4 bandwidth advantage probably makes up for that.

When gaming on a fast 4k monitor, look first to a good graphics card.

What processor do you currently have installed?
Likely, it is entirely adequate for your purpose.
I would suggest you first buy your monitor and see how you do.
You can next upgrade your graphics card.
Only if you need a stronger processor would you take the next step.

For gaming, single thread performance is most important.
There are a number of 9th gen processors that will run at 5.0.
You can pick from 6/8/16 threads. i5-9600K, i7-9700K, i9-9900K.
You will need a Z390 based motherboard.
You will also need DDR4 ram.

Ryzen is a very good value if you need many threads for batch processing.
Games do not usually make effective use of more than 4 threads.
Ryzen overlocking tops out around 4.3 so I like intel better for gaming.

If you have not yet put windows on a SSD that might be my first upgrade.

Plyman69

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
very good points you all make.... so budget ... i would like to buy them in parts slowly over time... like 6 months to a year. I would like to keep it under a thousand so I am not looking at the best technology out there... what i currently have is an I7 930 at 2.8 4 cores, Running 16gb ram and an nvidia gtx1050

Plyman69

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
So whatever you choose, If I was you, it would be AMD
You are going to need minimum mobo, cpu, ram - even if you went intel you will need that. Problem is, Intel will be changing chipset again within a year.
I am ok with buying last years technology since i am using technology that is at least 8 years old if not older... so if its an i7 and prices are dropping great... if its AMD great... just need more specifics please and thanks

Something like this - but of course things can be changed to whatever you want maybe dont want psu
maybe slower cpu and get newer ones ion 4 months (ryzen 3000)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (€158.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (€137.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€127.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€123.69 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€96.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €644.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-01 19:33 CET+0100

Solution
A $1000 budget will buy you a lot.

First, look at the types of games you like to play.
On your current pc, run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
Your I7-930 has 4 cores, but 8 threads. It has a passmark rating of 5139 and a single thread rating of 1218.
You will find that few games can make effective use of more than 4 threads.
You can test out this assertion with this test:
Experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

In general, fast action shooters need a fast graphics card.
strategy games, mmo and sims need fast single thread performance.
Multiplayer games with many participants like many threads.

What is your current monitor?
Are you looking to change out your monitor?
What are the rest of your current parts?
Do you need to change out your case?
What is the make/model of your psu?

In what way do you feel that your current setup is not doing the job?
I would address that first.

I think I would consider the monitor upgrade first.
Larger is more immersive. 30" or even a 35" widescreen.
Do you need the good image quality of a ips 178/178 screen, or would a faster tn screen be better.?
Your current GTX1050ti is a very nice card for what it is and will support any new monitor you want to buy.
You may even find it adequate for mmo or strategy games.

If you want a cpu upgrade, I do not see any good upgrade for your current motherboard.
The strongest might be a I7-990X with a rating of 9066/1509
You are looking at a modern intel 9th gen or ryzen processor.
Old tech is usually more expensive unless you are shopping used.
I would not go that route.
In addition, you will need a new motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 ram.

Ram might be $130, a motherboard might be $150.
A I5-9600K will cost some $250 with 6 threads and a passmark rating of 13446 and a single thread rating of 2677.
A 12 thread ryzen 2600 mentioned above may be around $200 with a passmark rating of 12544 and a single thread rating of 2007.

Either would be a very big jump over your current processor.
You can go higher, but you start to get diminishing returns for your incremental dollar.

Somewhere along the line,, budget $150 or so for a 500gb ssd.
I like the Samsung EVO units for reliability and performance.

Plyman69

Commendable
Dec 1, 2016
A $1000 budget will buy you a lot.

First, look at the types of games you like to play.
On your current pc, run this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
Your I7-930 has 4 cores, but 8 threads. It has a passmark rating of 5139 and a single thread rating of 1218.
You will find that few games can make effective use of more than 4 threads.
You can test out this assertion with this test:
Experiment with removing one or more cores/threads. You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

In general, fast action shooters need a fast graphics card.
strategy games, mmo and sims need fast single thread performance.
Multiplayer games with many participants like many threads.

What is your current monitor?
Are you looking to change out your monitor?
What are the rest of your current parts?
Do you need to change out your case?
What is the make/model of your psu?

In what way do you feel that your current setup is not doing the job?
I would address that first.

I think I would consider the monitor upgrade first.
Larger is more immersive. 30" or even a 35" widescreen.
Do you need the good image quality of a ips 178/178 screen, or would a faster tn screen be better.?
Your current GTX1050ti is a very nice card for what it is and will support any new monitor you want to buy.
You may even find it adequate for mmo or strategy games.

If you want a cpu upgrade, I do not see any good upgrade for your current motherboard.
The strongest might be a I7-990X with a rating of 9066/1509
You are looking at a modern intel 9th gen or ryzen processor.
Old tech is usually more expensive unless you are shopping used.
I would not go that route.
In addition, you will need a new motherboard and 16gb of ddr4 ram.

Ram might be $130, a motherboard might be $150.
A I5-9600K will cost some $250 with 6 threads and a passmark rating of 13446 and a single thread rating of 2677.
A 12 thread ryzen 2600 mentioned above may be around $200 with a passmark rating of 12544 and a single thread rating of 2007.

Either would be a very big jump over your current processor.
You can go higher, but you start to get diminishing returns for your incremental dollar.

Somewhere along the line,, budget $150 or so for a 500gb ssd.
I like the Samsung EVO units for reliability and performance.

Let me try and answer your questions.. I currently have a Samsung S27E330
Monitor - works great may upgrade to something better when time and money allows...
  • Display Type
    LED-backlit LCD monitor / TFT active matrix
  • Aspect Ratio
    16:9
  • Native Resolution
    Full HD (1080p) 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz
  • Contrast Ratio
    1000:1
  • Color Support
    16.7 million colors
Tower - Not sure but its original so close to 9 years old with a 650 W PS which is about 2 years old thermaltake if i do believe.
CPU - i7 930 @2.8 with 4 cores
GPU GTX 1050
Multiple drive - OS is on a 1 TB Samsung 960 EVO
16 GB ram DDR3

MAIN REASON FOR WANTING A NEW DESKTOP ... this one had a power surge and it did something to 2 of the RAM Slots... i can only 2 of the 4 slots. Also at time the system seems buggy... Running windows 10 fyi

With regards to CPU vs GPU requirements on the games i am playing... well.. I really dont know. I can play COH2 but this game does have issues with delays based on my settings and i lag with decrease response time etc.... It is also multiplayer usually with 2 -4 players and a balance of AI's from the servier... So ... would this improve with a better GPU or CPU or more ram.. probably yes on all 3 counts... So in my new rig I would be looking at more that 16 gb ... but may start with that initially... I may even try my current GPU to see how it works... I can always buy a new one...

So with this in mind I am kind of thinking of the following ----
  1. Get a new board and CPU
  2. new case and PS
  3. new Ram at 16gb and stop there...

I think the people posting above missed the point that you don't want to spend more than $1000 over 6-12 months, rathern than buy straight out.
They all want to sell you an Intel which you can OC, to which you said you want a normal machine that is powerful, which I would take as you don't want to mess around with OCing.
If you are not desperate to upgrade right now, July would be when AMD release the 3000 Ryzens @ 7nm which just means, faster/more cores.

Above people are talking about don't need more than 4 cores, but you may noticed in games, they do use more than that such as Civ 6 - runs ok on 4 better on 8. Future proofing is getting more cores/threads. If this wasn't so, we would still be on single cores and dual at best!

Anyway, I've given what I can, take from it what you want, good luck on what you decide.