[SOLVED] Looking to Upgrade

Ventus_Hikari

Honorable
Feb 23, 2015
Hi! I'm a little stuck on what my next upgrade should be. I am seeing dips below 60 fps pretty frequently on my LG ultra wide with newer titles.

System:
Intel i5 7600k
GTX 1070
ASUS ROG STRIX H270F Motherboard (LGA 1151)
16gb Hyperx DDR4 RAM (2133 MHz)

My monitor is the LG 34UC89G-B

I thought about just changing out the chipset and migrating to a Ryzen 3700x but I'm open to any suggestions.

Hi! I'm a little stuck on what my next upgrade should be. I am seeing dips below 60 fps pretty frequently on my LG ultra wide with newer titles.

System:
Intel i5 7600k
GTX 1070
ASUS ROG STRIX H270F Motherboard (LGA 1151)
16gb Hyperx DDR4 RAM (2133 MHz)

My monitor is the LG 34UC89G-B

I thought about just changing out the chipset and migrating to a Ryzen 3700x but I'm open to any suggestions.
Personally I would wait considering Nvidia, AMD, and Intel are all going to have new releases by Q4 2020 some of them by Q3 2020.

Reactions: Ventus_Hikari

Ventus_Hikari

Honorable
Feb 23, 2015
Personally I would wait considering Nvidia, AMD, and Intel are all going to have new releases by Q4 2020 some of them by Q3 2020.

I thought about that. Although I know for sure that I will be changing chip sets at some point this year. I will probably stick with whatever Nvidia puts out this year in the mid-range options unless they do something exceptionally stupid.

I thought about that. Although I know for sure that I will be changing chip sets at some point this year. I will probably stick with whatever Nvidia puts out this year in the mid-range options unless they do something exceptionally stupid.
I would expect 2080s performance for potentially a couple of hundred dollars less. I would also expect even more IPC performance in AMD's new 4000 series lineup coupled with higher boost speeds. If you can't wait let me know ill throw a build together.

The stock clock is 3.8
4.8 is a 25% boost.
It all depends on how good the chip is.
Later stock is more likely to be better.
As of 6/19/17
What percent of samples can get an overclock
at a vcore around 1.4v.
I5-7600K
4.9 72%
5.0 52%
5.1 27%
5.2 16%
5.3 samples exist, unknown % of occurrence

Yes, a decent cooler(and case) may be needed, but a good cooler can be carried forward to a future build.
Sill, it can't hurt to experiment a bit.

The stock clock is 3.8
4.8 is a 25% boost.
It all depends on how good the chip is.
Later stock is more likely to be better.
As of 6/19/17
What percent of samples can get an overclock
at a vcore around 1.4v.
I5-7600K
4.9 72%
5.0 52%
5.1 27%
5.2 16%
5.3 samples exist, unknown % of occurrence

Yes, a decent cooler(and case) may be needed, but a good cooler can be carried forward to a future build.
Sill, it can't hurt to experiment a bit.
A 7600k boosts to 4.2ghz so if he gets to for instance 5.0 ghz thats a 18% bump. I understand OCing it, my point is why spend money cooling an older CPU when you can just buy one that's faster stock compared to an extreme OC?

Boost applies to one core only and only if the load and thermals permit.
Overclocking will apply to the performance of all cores.

If the op has not overclocked, it is worth trying to see how better performance impacts his games.

Sooner or later, any enthusiast is going to want a good cooler.
Either for performance or noise reduction.
Such an investment will not be wasted.

4x8 is clearly better performance. The amount of people not able to achieve 3600 with 4 sticks is in the minority if you get a good kit. Check the bottom of the second page for the performance chart. 4x8 3600 at cl 16 is one of the best performers.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-3000-best-memory-timings,6310-2.html

Memory overclocking is harder the more sticks you have. since the extra sticks mean more strain on the memory controller. This is not new. There are a lot of threads with people having this exact issue on this forum in the last month. I would not have said this if it wasn't true. I'm very active on this forum. I saw a few of them not long ago.

People in this forum will recommend 2x16GB over 4x8GB anytime of the day.

Memory overclocking is harder the more sticks you have. since the extra sticks mean more strain on the memory controller. This is not new. There are a lot of threads with people having this exact issue on this forum in the last month. I would not have said this if it wasn't true. I'm very active on this forum. I saw a few of them not long ago.

People in this forum will recommend 2x16GB over 4x8GB anytime of the day.
The problem with that argument is that for every person that posts they have problems here there are 10-100s that had none. 4x8 is more performance and that is a fact. If you get the kit and it doesn't work with your CPU then return it for a 2x16. That is a worst-case scenario. When you say
2x16GB at 3600 CL16 is better
that is patently false.

The problem with that argument is that for every person that posts they have problems here there are 10-100s that had none. 4x8 is more performance and that is a fact. If you get the kit and it doesn't work with your CPU then return it for a 2x16. That is a worst-case scenario. When you say

that is patently false.

I obviously meant it's better because you might have issues. Wasn't really talking about the performance. When someone recommend a build on this forum you will see 2 sticks 99% of the time. There is a reason for that.

TRENDING THREADS