Question Looking to upgrade!!!

tonystrickler966

Honorable
Nov 17, 2017
Hello whoever is reading this. I am stuck on what GPU I should upgrade to!
Been playing on my 1050 TI for years now and I think its time to get it out of my system!
Here are my pc spec ATM!

I7-7700K
ASUS H170 PRO GAMING
32gb Corsair vengeance lpx 2133 ram
PSU EVGA 500 B1
Gtx 1050ti

With all the new GPUs out I think now is a good time to upgrade!
Not looking to spend a fortune on a new card just want to get out on the bottleneck!

Last edited:
I'm going to be completely honest with you here and you can take it however you want. That PSU is a POS. Bad. It's one of the worst models EVGA has ever produced and the only reason your current system hasn't had power related struggles is because that graphics card has a very low power draw.

Whether you do or do not upgrade your graphics card it would be a VERY good idea to get a better quality power supply. Better quality does not necessarily mean "moar watts", it means exactly what it says, better QUALITY. That B1 is very poor quality.

Do yourself a favor and read the first post here:

And then when choosing a new PSU, if you do, you could do a lot worse than using this as a guide if you stick to units primarily on tier A but in this case a Tier B unit would be fine too.

What resolution are you gaming at and what kind of settings do you expect to be able to run? What is the refresh rate of your display and what kind of FPS are you looking to shoot for?

Reactions: tonystrickler966

tonystrickler966

Honorable
Nov 17, 2017
I'm going to be completely honest with you here and you can take it however you want. That PSU is a POS. Bad. It's one of the worst models EVGA has ever produced and the only reason your current system hasn't had power related struggles is because that graphics card has a very low power draw.

Whether you do or do not upgrade your graphics card it would be a VERY good idea to get a better quality power supply. Better quality does not necessarily mean "moar watts", it means exactly what it says, better QUALITY. That B1 is very poor quality.

Do yourself a favor and read the first post here:

And then when choosing a new PSU, if you do, you could do a lot worse than using this as a guide if you stick to units primarily on tier A but in this case a Tier B unit would be fine too.

What resolution are you gaming at and what kind of settings do you expect to be able to run? What is the refresh rate of your display and what kind of FPS are you looking to shoot for?
Thank you for the honesty. I thought it would be a good idea to include the PSU for that specific reason. I've had it for such a long time and only bought it at the time because it was all I could afford. I'm not shooting for no 4k gaming or that over hyped stuff. I'm Mostly play CSGO and WOWS. Occasionally I play Diablo 3, PUBG and rust. I have a 240Hz monitor so High-Max Settings at 120FPS would be sound for me!

Also, What in your best judgement would be a good upgrade for a PSU and GPU Combo for my system.

Last edited:
What would be the most you could reasonably afford to throw at a new card and PSU?

Are you hardline against any particular camp or are both AMD and Nvidia ok based on bang for the buck?

And also, what country are you in? Makes a difference so always a good idea to share that bit when looking for hardware recommendations.

tonystrickler966

Honorable
Nov 17, 2017
Reasonably around $500 for both is where I would be comfortable at. Just something to keep my system from being a paperweight for a few years. Not looking for the best of the best but also wanting a noticeable difference when casually gaming. If I could get something better bang for the buck within $100 of the 5 I would be sound with that. Don't care about either side at this point, I was a big NVidia guru when I first got into gaming but I know both sides can have nice cards. Whatever would be decent to give my 7700k. located in the USA

What case do you have, so we can determine what size graphics card it will support or not support? Sorry, that should be the last question and we can do a really decent upgrade of both the PSU and graphics card for 500 bucks. Don't want to get too crazy anyhow with the graphics card because you'll just end up with a CPU that can't keep up if we try getting too out of hand.

Reactions: Multyspeed

tonystrickler966

Honorable
Nov 17, 2017
So long as your case will support the length of this graphics card, this would be a pretty excellent leap from where you are now.

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Gaming X12G GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB Video Card ($359.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x (2021) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.24 @ Amazon)
Total: $449.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-21 01:32 EST-0500

Yeah I have the Thermaltake View 21 so I think it should. Thank you for all the help!