[SOLVED] Looks like bad RAM but...

crios42

Reputable
Oct 14, 2016
My desktop had been running great for about a year after I built it (right before COVID). Then a couple of months ago I got my first BSOD and they've been getting more and more frequent. The stop code is Memory Management. I started running tests to try to pinpoint the problem.
  • Ran MdSched, hardware problem found
  • Ran MemTest86 ERROR (There was A LOT of red)
So I'm guessing that I have a bad stick of RAM or 2 and I should buy some new ones and replace them, I also decided to run HCI Design MemTest overnight and that came back with NO errors. Is that something that can happen? I have seen people recommend MemTest86 over MemTest. Before I buy new RAM, is there something else I should try or know?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
If there are any errors with Memtest86 whatsoever then RMA the full kit.
Do not purchase independent modules to replace the ones that have failed as you may cause a mismatch.

Use a can of compressed air to blow out the RAM slots and Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the terminals. Only do this with the system shut down at the PSU.
My desktop had been running great for about a year after I built it (right before COVID). Then a couple of months ago I got my first BSOD and they've been getting more and more frequent. The stop code is Memory Management. I started running tests to try to pinpoint the problem.
  • Ran MdSched, hardware problem found
  • Ran MemTest86 ERROR (There was A LOT of red)
So I'm guessing that I have a bad stick of RAM or 2 and I should buy some new ones and replace them, I also decided to run HCI Design MemTest overnight and that came back with NO errors. Is that something that can happen? I have seen people recommend MemTest86 over MemTest. Before I buy new RAM, is there something else I should try or know?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Get a can of air and a small brush.
Give the innards a good cleaning.
Heatsinks and fans extra clean.
Don't forget the psu....a few shots of air from both directions.
Run memtest86 again.

If there are any errors with Memtest86 whatsoever then RMA the full kit.
Do not purchase independent modules to replace the ones that have failed as you may cause a mismatch.

Use a can of compressed air to blow out the RAM slots and Isopropyl Alcohol to clean the terminals. Only do this with the system shut down at the PSU.

Solution

crios42

Reputable
Oct 14, 2016
Get a can of air and a small brush.
Give the innards a good cleaning.
Heatsinks and fans extra clean.
Don't forget the psu....a few shots of air from both directions.
Run memtest86 again.

I'll give that a shot but things are pretty clean already. I've been blowing it out every couple of months (2) although I haven't gone at it with a cotton swab so that couldn't hurt.