Question Loop maintenance.

I'm thinking it may be about time for a system flush. As I also have a tube to replace as its developed a kink, while I dont think it's really causing flow issues, its visually unappealing. And it's just starting to annoy me when I look at it.

My loop(since gpu addition) is approximately 9ish months old. I've heard flush every 3,6, 12 months, etc. So I thinks it's probably about time.

Is a full cleanse necessary? Like with the mayhems cleaning kit. Or would just a distilled water flush and coolant replacement be ok?

I will say I'm having zero issues, so I dont think anything has built up. Temps have remained unchanged, no floaties in the res, or any issues. Just preventative maintenance at this point along with one new tube.

Thoughts? Thanks all.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think it depends on the loop and conditions.

I use straight distilled water, a little biocide, and a kills coil. Pretty much maintenance free. Been together for two years now. I think I am overdue for a clean out, though nothing much in the reservoir (I did have to clean that out before assembly this time). I probably also need to take my CPU block apart, it has been together for I want to say 5 years. The insides of my nickel coated fittings are more or less gone, but probably just dissolved in the fluid at this point.

Colored fluids, pastels, all seem to have issues lasting more than a year or two. Staining, tubes degrading and becoming 'sticky'. Hard tubing getting micro scratches from pastels and getting foggy, lots of things to go wrong.

I see a lot of videos of loops getting clogged up by pre-mixes and dyes. I just avoid them altogether, but I'm also not a fan of clear tubing. My first real water cooling build I tried some tubing out, wasn't strong enough. Bought some automotive radiator hose and used that. Current build just has some Primochill white tubing.

Reactions: Gmoney06ss
As far as my conditions, dry and 20-21c ambient temps.

I'm using ek cryofluid concentrate and distilled water. It is colored, but not pastel. Its blood red to match my psu cables. Still haven't decided if I'll go back to red or just run clear this time. Guess it depends on how the flush goes. I will however probably stick with the ek concentrate.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My one aborted attempt at hard tubing, I bought translucent red. I really should get back to that sometime.

Want to know what my dumb mistake was? I didn't put the PSU I was going to use in the chassis, realized after I had made four tubes...not enough excess to finish it, and the rearrangement requires at least one additional 90 degree fitting.

TRENDING THREADS