Loop sequence and rad orientation advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

skipper01

Commendable
May 28, 2016
Hello Everybody

I'm back into watercooling after a few years of absence and i need some advice on how to set up my loop sequence and the orientation of one of the rads, i want to cool a core i7 950 130 TDP (not overclocked for now), i know i have some old components but it's what i can manage for now:

1 XSPC RS120 Radiator with 1 original 120 fan from XSPC kit.
1 120 Radiator from a busted corsair H60 with 1 SP120 Fan (corsair)
1 XSPC Delta V3 CPU Waterblock (acetal),
1 New XSPC ION Pump/Res.
6 original G1/4 compression fittings 8mm ID, 10mm OD
Tubbing.

The only available locations for the rads are, one in the the back of my case below my power supply and one in the front but this one has to be secured sideways (barbs on the side instead of top or bottom), I have an old not mounting friendly Ultra E-Torque case with not much space. Besides my ambient temps are way too high, 30° C and up.

I have 2 ideas and i would like to know your opinions on them, if they are ok, which is the best or is there other sequence best suited for my loop, is it ok for me to mount the front rad sideways?

Rad 1 will always be the one on the back of the case due to the orientation of the pump outlet and the placement i have for it.

Idea 1

Pump --> CPU Block --> Rad 1 (back) --> Rad 2 (front)--> Pump

Idea 2

Pump --> Rad 1 (back) --> CPU Block --> Rad 2 (front) --> Pump

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Best Regards

Skipper

Solution
FYI, that Corsair rad is made of aluminum - not a good idea to mix aluminum in a cooling loop with copper, brass, gold or silver as you can see galvanic corrosion occur without a good anti-corrosion coolant.

Loop order does not matter as long as the reservoir is high enough to feed the pump and not allow the pump to draw air. This usually means the reservoir 'feeds' the pump. res -> pump

Be advised that some CPU and GPU blocks do have a specific port that should be used for inlet and outlet, some blocks do not matter which way flow runs through them.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
FYI, that Corsair rad is made of aluminum - not a good idea to mix aluminum in a cooling loop with copper, brass, gold or silver as you can see galvanic corrosion occur without a good anti-corrosion coolant.

Loop order does not matter as long as the reservoir is high enough to feed the pump and not allow the pump to draw air. This usually means the reservoir 'feeds' the pump. res -> pump

Be advised that some CPU and GPU blocks do have a specific port that should be used for inlet and outlet, some blocks do not matter which way flow runs through them.

Solution
Apr 27, 2018
Hi, I am just newbie but hope this help.
The orientation should not be a problem except the case intake airflow is diffent on the two heads of the rad. I noticed that the head with water goes in and out is always hotter since it is fresh water from hot cpu. If you front mount the rad, the bigger air vent/hole for intake should be in the same orientation with the hot head of the rad.
Sorry for my bad English..so here is an example.
I have corsair h100i v2 and phanteks p400 with front mount push. p400 has 2 air holes, smaller one top and bigger one bottom, so I should mount the rad with the head of the rad connects to the cpu down, closer to the bigger air hole for more cool fresh air.

Status
Not open for further replies.