Question Loose connection? Dell laptop and docking station

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Hi

I have a Dell 7591 laptop with a Dell WD19TB dock. If I wobble the USB cable (see video, listen to the audio) it will connect and disconnect.

The question is it a dodgy USB-C laptop socket, or is the docking station USB C cable/connector at fault?

So...

I've plugged in another USB device into the same laptop socket (my phone), wiggled it around and had no issues.

I then plugged the docking station into my tower PC, wiggled it around, no issues.

So the results are inconclusive. What's next!

(BTW Bios and docking station firmware is full up to date, but I doubt that matters).

Thx!

Here is the video:
https://youtube.com/shorts/srb1lSqkT_k

AlexS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Doing what you did is how you break the port. When that connector is PROPERLY supported by a flat surface it works fine, unless the port has been damaged by allowing things to sag. USB-C ports are fragile enough without stunts like that.

As I've demonstrated there is an issue, probably a break somewhere which I'm trying to locate.' I am simply asking advice on how to fix this. And you are entirely wrong, it doesn't work fine when properly supported right now, it disconnects and connects.

Please I do not need to be told where I or another person who uses this laptop went wrong thankyou very much, it's clear there is a break probably caused by a human being, or poor cable management, or maybe it was dropped, I don't know, but your observations are not helpful to me when I'm simply trying to fix this issue. You are coming across as quite rude.

If you have anything constructive I'm all ears but this isn't helpful. This thread is about how to fix this issue.

Last edited:

AlexS

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
I've plugged in another USB device into the same laptop socket (my phone), wiggled it around and had no issues.

I then plugged the docking station into my tower PC, wiggled it around, no issues.

So the results are inconclusive. What's next!

See quote above from my original post. Not sure how you can come to the immediate opinion it's the motherboard, it could easily be the cable as well. As stated, my tests were inconclusive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS