[SOLVED] Loose front fan caused vibration on the case

Jul 10, 2020
So I assembled a computer recently but did a poor job fixing 2 fans to the front case grid.
I was short on a screw and decided to use it that way, anyway. I think I used the computer for 3-4 weeks. There was a little bit of vibration in the case, very slight

Could I have damaged any hardware component? I'm concerned mainly about the GPU, I know they are very sensible to vibration, more than other components.

I also had a display of poor rendering during gaming, which could be something from the game itself, since other people related the same issue, or could be some damage caused by vibration

Also, which software do you recommend to measure GPU voltage, MSI afterburner is letting me down with voltage graphs. OCCT?

It's a new GPU so that's in my favour.

Solution
I don't think you damaged anything. All components of CPU, MOBO, GPU (except fans) are solid state components themselves. They are hardly affected by vibration unless you are putting them on a washing machine. So don't worry about a vibrating fan.

The only thing you could theoretically harm is the HDD. You can check with HDD Tune or HDD Regen to make sure all sectors are okay. And don't give it a thought if it's fine. HDDs are tolerant of many Gs of vibration. I doubt a case fan even reach a fraction of G.

Yes, you can use OCCT in Power mode to stress test all components. If 4 hours goes by without errors, forget all worries.

The Tiger

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
I don't think you damaged anything. All components of CPU, MOBO, GPU (except fans) are solid state components themselves. They are hardly affected by vibration unless you are putting them on a washing machine. So don't worry about a vibrating fan.

The only thing you could theoretically harm is the HDD. You can check with HDD Tune or HDD Regen to make sure all sectors are okay. And don't give it a thought if it's fine. HDDs are tolerant of many Gs of vibration. I doubt a case fan even reach a fraction of G.

Yes, you can use OCCT in Power mode to stress test all components. If 4 hours goes by without errors, forget all worries.

Reactions: killedagriffing
Solution

Furzumz

Reputable
Could I have damaged any hardware component? I'm concerned mainly about the GPU, I know they are very sensible to vibration, more than other components.

I broke a fan fin on my 1060 3gb not too long ago. When it ramped up in speed my entire case would vibrate so much my desk would vibrate with it

I ran it like that for 3 weeks until my replacement came and everything was fine, nothing damaged.

Now of course I would never recommend anyone ever do what I did. Desperate times desperate measures and all that but if my computer could handle that I think yours is going to be fine from some light vibration.

Edit - to also add, I replaced the fans on my 1060 and the card is fine despite vibrating like a out of balance washing machine for 3 weeks.

Reactions: killedagriffing
Jul 10, 2020
thanks guys, as far as the vibration goes I have found the missing screw and the fans are well placed now. I don't think I have reasons to concern anymroe.

If something goes bad during gaming, I will run the tests as recommended. Same goes for HDD. Hope all is good and I don't have to reach manufacturer's warranty during a pandemic

cheerss