Loosing Video Signal And GPU Fan Speeding Up To 100%

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Hi all, just recently I've been having this issue where my monitor has been loosing video signal followed by the GPU fan spinning up to 100%. When this happens I can still hear audio such as my friends in discord talking, there is just no video output. It has happened both under load when gaming, and while idle on the desktop. The issue isn't all that common. I would say it has occurred 5/6 times in the last month.

After a reboot the pc then works again fine.

GPU temps when under full load are around 82c, and while this is pretty warm, its not above the max temp for this card. My PC has always ran pretty hot, cpu temps are around 70c also when under full load.

I'm not the best when it comes to troubleshooting issues so I was wondering if anybody would be able to help.

My Specs:
GTX 780ti
i7 2600
12GB Ram
Corsair TX850M PSU

Thanks.

Solution
If the problem is as intermittent as you say it can be very hard to troubleshoot. You might have a failing part, or you might be getting power problems, or you might have a software issue that only shows at random times. You might find more information in the logs, look for something around the time of the last crash.

mwryder55

Distinguished
The warranty is for five years so it might be starting to fail. The only time I experienced symptoms like you mention is when I upgraded my video card and the year old power supply couldn't provide the required power to the video card. I used Heaven to test the computer and the temperatures were a little cooler than yours but it still would crash after a short period of time.

xFazzz

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013

That is the thing that is confusing me, its completely random. It just went two weeks without doing it at all, and then out of the blue last night it did it again. Just played battlefront 2 today for a few hours with 0 issues again.

Is there anyway i could test for a faulty psu? I don't have a 2nd pc to test anything in.

mwryder55

Distinguished
If the problem is as intermittent as you say it can be very hard to troubleshoot. You might have a failing part, or you might be getting power problems, or you might have a software issue that only shows at random times. You might find more information in the logs, look for something around the time of the last crash.

Solution