Lord of the Rings Online Now Free to Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

How much does this cost in the store?

TheRockMonsi

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Soon... WoW will be forced to be free too... then what will all the free MMO's do?[/citation]

I'm pretty sure there was an article a while back here stating that Blizzard is, at the least, considering making WoW free to play as well. I guess it's only a matter of time until we really find out.

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I guess I'm the only one who played this game, EVER, cuz its been free for a long time. Last year I quit WOW and was looking for another drug, i tried EVE and LOTR...i choose EVE even though its not free, but LOTR was free to play then.

[citation][nom]Humans think[/nom]One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.How much does this cost in the store?[/citation]

Wow the trolls rated you down this time. +1

One ring to enslave them all.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
My complaint was always having to pay for software, then having to pay for a monthly subscription on top of the original cost.

My guess is that this model will work...get them hooked on playing and make them play for additional content...

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
complete free to play or still have to buy the game... def getting if the former probably if the latter. i have played it on friends accounts it just wasn't worth leaving WoW for, and i couldn't justify 2 mmo payments a month

SapienChavez

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Elrond now accepts PayPAl and all major CC!

as a "lifetime" subscriber I am disgusted.

they basically plastered "buy it now" on everything. there is now a store icon on the HUD that can not be removed.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I still prefer paying for the game and paying a monthly fee. less time is wasted on making cool items for the item store for the game to make income. That time can be spent on the game, fixing bugs adding content etc.

Not to mention no one has stated that you need to buy quest packs for lvl 10+. the way LOTRO is going this is you can buy points for the quests or do deeds ingame that give 5-10 points each. The quest packs start at 600-750 points for quests. so if u truly want to play for free expect hour upon hours grinding on mobs that dont give you exp and doing other tasks before you can afford to buy that quest pack to move on.

In the end its probity cheaper and faster to level to just pay for a VIP account its $9.99 a month and allows you to play LOTRO like it was before F2P and gives you 500 points a month to use in the item store.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Will be interested to try it out. I like this model better. For those that can't play very much, they at least temporarily inhabit more space to make the world not seem as empty. For those that get into it, they can pay for the full features.

For me, I hated having to buy a MMO game with the first month being free. That's $60 - if you don't like it after a month, it's not like you can sell it and get some money back, and you can't play just a little every month. It's always been play as long as possible for the first month, then realize how bright the sun is outside after you're done.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The only thing interesting about this free to play stuff is that is may become the "rule" for MMO games to follow if they want to be competitive in the market. All top notch MMO games now cost the same per month (14.99), hopefully this move by Turbine will help force this model onto other companies. Free to play Star Wars: The Old Republic for the win

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]wikiwikiwhat[/nom]EVE needs to go free. I'd play it then. I'm soo waiting for SW:TOR to come out.[/citation]

SW:TOR won't be free...that's for sure...

Mundus33

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]wikiwikiwhat[/nom]EVE needs to go free. I'd play it then. I'm soo waiting for SW:TOR to come out.[/citation]

Umm technically speaking it can be free to play. It takes a bit but once you have enough isk you can buy plex off of contracts for 250/300mil and about 400/450mil during the summer at first that might seem like a pipe dream but after you get your first billion you can start investing your isk and then 300mil or so a month doesn't seem that bad. If you get help I think you can make that much in about 4-6 months if you save up and don't waste isk like I did.

Thilindi

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Soon... WoW will be forced to be free too... then what will all the free MMO's do?[/citation]

Launch WoW 2

wmtyrance

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
The community will suffer for it. Lotro had one of the best online communities of all mmo's. Free to play means nothing but aholes ruining the game. It really is to bad that this happened to a great game.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008

One day.. they'll pay us mwahahaw.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]beachbod[/nom]WoW hasnt gone free to play because its better than the other mmorpgs[/citation]

LoTRO is superior to WoW. It actually takes a little bit of thought to play. Or at least it did until Turbine decided to gut major play mechanics and go the same gearcentric route that WoW works on.

Regardless, LoTRO is still a better game. I may have to try it again now that it's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.