[SOLVED] Lose access to internet after installing Hamachi

Mar 22, 2020
My buddy asked me to install hamachi so I could join his minecraft server, immediately after doing so I lost connection to just about everything. I'm still able to use discord, play games and even install items off of steam. I'm not able to access most websites like YouTube, Gmail, Microsoft Homepage, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've tried several solutions with none of them working. I have also tried uninstalling hamachi but with little luck, resetting my PC to factory settings also hasn't worked.

your telus dns server doesnt work
try opendns from google

Windows
DNS settings are specified in the TCP/IP Properties window for the selected network connection.

Example: Changing DNS server settings on Windows 10

1. Go to the Control Panel.
  2. Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
  3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
    • To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click the Ethernet interface and select Properties.
    • To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click the Wi-Fi interface and select Properties.
  4. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  5. Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then click Properties.
  6. Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
  9. Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:
    • For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
    • For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844.
  10. Restart the connection you selected in step 3.

ipv4 may not be needed

Mar 22, 2020
So after a while, I managed to fix the issue while trying to fix something else. I disabled my ipv6 and regained access to literally everything I couldn't access before. So this thread can be closed if a mod would like to do so.

Apr 10, 2020
your telus dns server doesnt work
try opendns from google

Windows
DNS settings are specified in the TCP/IP Properties window for the selected network connection.

Example: Changing DNS server settings on Windows 10

1. Go to the Control Panel.
  2. Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
  3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
    • To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click the Ethernet interface and select Properties.
    • To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click the Wi-Fi interface and select Properties.
  4. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  5. Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then click Properties.
  6. Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
  9. Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:
    • For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
    • For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844.
  10. Restart the connection you selected in step 3.
ipv4 may not be needed

I tried this but it didn't work for me :( It takes forever for me to access Messenger and when the page eventually loads, all messages fail to send... like Bukh Lisus, I can't access many websites but youtube and some others work perfectly fine...when I want to play league of legends, it'll tell me that I can't play because I appear to be offline despite I successfully logged in?? I already deleted Hamachi and followed the steps .. but nothing seems to change... please help 😢

May 11, 2020
Try disabling your ipv6 like I did it may or may not work but it did for me!
This worked a treat for me. I had wasted ages messing around with this issue.
I had also read lots of other suggestions but many of them seemed quite convoluted so I didn't fancy trying them. I kept digging around until I found something which seemed pretty simple and tried that (easy to undo too) BAM! - solved.
Thank you so much Bukh Lisus for posting this suggestion .

Reactions: SamirD

TRENDING THREADS