Question Losing 400m

May 6, 2022
Man, I have a real scratcher. I have 500m when I plug directly into the cable modem, or plug into a switch and plug a laptop in the switch. BUT, when I plug into a 4 different cat5 ports leaving the closet and going to the adjacent rooms, I lose a consistent 390-400m in each run (run maybe 20' tops). Everything was fine yesterday and all I did was move my wifi mesh around, but it's odd why all of the sudden I'm getting 100m at all 4 locations.

Help???

Tim

Ralston18

Titan
More information needed:

What is central or common to the four devices/locations that are having the problem?

What Cat 5 Ports? Patch panel, router, switch...?

Provide a hardware list of installed devices (modem, router, switch, mesh device(s): make, model, connectivity, etc..

Include a simple line diagram showing the connections between devices. Are the cable modem, router, switch etc. all located in the closet?

What was the reason for the original wifi mesh being moved? Where were they originally located and to where were they moved?

Double check all device configurations. Ensure, for example, that the laptop has only one network adapter enabled. Either wired or wireless not both.

Check your mesh device(s). Perhaps they defaulted back to factory settings.

Verify that all devices have an assigned DHCP IP address within the router's allowed range. Check that there are no duplicate IP addresses being used.