[SOLVED] Losing connection for exactly 30 minutes

Jun 1, 2020
I am having a frustrating problem that I'm trying to work out with my ISP. I have gigabit fiber from a local telephone cooperative. It was working fine for about 3 months, coincidentally issues started the day after an ONT firmware upgrade. Whenever I use a significant amount of bandwidth (> 25% according to the router stats) the router loses connection to the internet for exactly 30 minutes, but if I plug a laptop in to the ethernet from the ONT, it will have a good connection.

Resetting and even factory resetting the router does not help. The only thing that works is waiting 30 minutes for the connection to come back up. This is repeatable with three different routers, a Unifi Dream Machine, the ISP supplied Calix router, and an old Netgear router. The ISP insists nothing on their end is set up to do this. It's like the router MAC address is being blacklisted for exactly 30 minutes.

Internally, I have an HP switch and a laptop wired directly to the router. While I'm trying to troubleshoot this, the only things I have on the switch are an Unraid server and TVs/game systems. I have the router set up for defaults at this point just trying to get this stuff to work. I can't think of any way anything internally could cause this.

I'm at a total loss here and am looking for any further troubleshooting I can do.

Solution
Unfortunately I don't have a laptop with gigabit ethernet or a wireless card capable of testing that, but I might be able to scrounge something up capable of that.
If the laptop has a usb 3.0 port, you can get a usb gigabit adapter that should max out. Even if you have only a usb 2.0 port, you should be able to hit 300Mbps, which would be more than 25% of 1Gbps.

kanewolf

Titan
I am having a frustrating problem that I'm trying to work out with my ISP. I have gigabit fiber from a local telephone cooperative. It was working fine for about 3 months, coincidentally issues started the day after an ONT firmware upgrade. Whenever I use a significant amount of bandwidth (> 25% according to the router stats) the router loses connection to the internet for exactly 30 minutes, but if I plug a laptop in to the ethernet from the ONT, it will have a good connection.

Resetting and even factory resetting the router does not help. The only thing that works is waiting 30 minutes for the connection to come back up. This is repeatable with three different routers, a Unifi Dream Machine, the ISP supplied Calix router, and an old Netgear router. The ISP insists nothing on their end is set up to do this. It's like the router MAC address is being blacklisted for exactly 30 minutes.

Internally, I have an HP switch and a laptop wired directly to the router. While I'm trying to troubleshoot this, the only things I have on the switch are an Unraid server and TVs/game systems. I have the router set up for defaults at this point just trying to get this stuff to work. I can't think of any way anything internally could cause this.

I'm at a total loss here and am looking for any further troubleshooting I can do.
The UDM should have the best logging. What does the syslog say?

Unfortunately I don't have a laptop with gigabit ethernet or a wireless card capable of testing that, but I might be able to scrounge something up capable of that.
If the laptop has a usb 3.0 port, you can get a usb gigabit adapter that should max out. Even if you have only a usb 2.0 port, you should be able to hit 300Mbps, which would be more than 25% of 1Gbps.

Solution