Question Losing display randomly and GPU fans spinning at full speed ?

bochiman25

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Hi all,

I am having an issue with my computer where I will suddenly lost display on my monitor and then my graphics cards fan will spin to full speed but my computer doesn't actually turn off, I can tell that my computer is still running as audio will still come through my headphones or if I am on discord I can continue to speak. Initially I thought it could be a graphics card issue but I decided to use my onboard graphics to see what would happen and it did the same thing, the only difference is after losing display using onboard graphics my GPU fans would not increase. I have been trying to look for what is causing this to happen but it seems to be completely random as it can happen when my computer is sitting idle and it has happened whilst I am playing various games. initially this error happened pretty infrequently but today it has happened 3 times within 15 minutes.

On a side note 2 of my friends started randomly having this issue around the same time, one of them flashed his bios and seemed to fix the issue for him. My other friend and I tried flashing but it made no difference for either of us.

I am really at a loss with this and any help would be appreciated.

Computer specs
CPU: Intel i7 8700k
Motherboard: ROG Maximus x Formula
GPU: Asus 1080 ti OC
Ram: GSkill trident z 3200mhz
SSD: samsung 870 evo
PSU: corsair RM750

Thanks,
Ryan

Run sfc /scannow to check your files. You can try using one stick of ram at a time to rule out your memory. You can try removing your gpu files with DDU uninstaller and installing fresh gpu drivers. (Although it doesn't seem to be the gpu as the problem.) Side note: When you used your onboard graphics you were no longer using your gpu so there would be no fan usage on your gpu.

Reactions: bochiman25