Losing internet connection conudrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoolyFox

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hi all,

I recently bought BitDefender after reading good reviews and seeing the price for 5 licences was less than 1 licence Avast was offering me, I decided to jump ship to BitDefender.

Since installing on 3 computers, I have had issues with 2 of them losing internet connection while playing Battlefield 1 on ONE of the computers. In other words, when one loses connection, both lose connection even if the other machine is running a completely different online program.

Before BitDefender, the game worked fine on both machines without losing connection after a few minutes in game but know it seems to happen EXACTLY 3 minutes have an online match starts.

Setup:
Both machines hardwired into modem/router on FTTC internet connection
Using Public DNS

I guess the next step is turning off BitDefender and see how it goes but I cannot be sure it's just the AV firewall being overzealous.

Any help would be appreciated in finding the issue.

A small update:

Have confirmed it is not BitDefender causing the loss in connection but believe it's a faulty ISP provided router. The issue is the router, for some reason, losing connection to the DNS server so being unable to resolve web addresses into IP addresses and vice versa. Rebooting the router seems to fix the DNS issue for a time but then loses it again eventually.

Using both public and ISP DNS server address and a combination of the two has not rectified the issue.

Curiously, my phone can still receive IM messages over the SAME router's WiFi when both PC are unable to connect to the internet due to DNS being unavailable. I then tried to load a webpage on the phone but alas 'page unable to load'.

Unless anyone else can suggest something other than replace the modem I'm not sure what to do.

Solution
Yes - temporarily turn off BitDefender to demonstrate that having it enabled/functioning is directly related to the loss of connectivity.

What about the licensing? BitDefender is probably keeping track of the active number of installs: Each machine may be "phoning home" and some conflict disables connectivity for all. Turn off all but one PC and bring each back one PC at a time. Use a different order to see if the connectivity loss is specific to some combination of events.

Are there any ports associated with Battlefield 1? Check their status with and without BitDefender.

As for the three minute countdown see if you can identify some application, process, or service starting - perhaps some update or backup. Use Task Manager...

Ralston18

Titan
Yes - temporarily turn off BitDefender to demonstrate that having it enabled/functioning is directly related to the loss of connectivity.

What about the licensing? BitDefender is probably keeping track of the active number of installs: Each machine may be "phoning home" and some conflict disables connectivity for all. Turn off all but one PC and bring each back one PC at a time. Use a different order to see if the connectivity loss is specific to some combination of events.

Are there any ports associated with Battlefield 1? Check their status with and without BitDefender.

As for the three minute countdown see if you can identify some application, process, or service starting - perhaps some update or backup. Use Task Manager to look for a possible culprit.

Tedious in some ways but your troubleshooting must be methodical. The objective is to be able to duplicate the loss of connectivity as deep down as you can get. E.g., one specific PC, running some given process....

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.