[SOLVED] Losing Internet connection when assigning fixed IP address

charlyvm_

Reputable
Jan 25, 2019
Context:

Some months ago, I had a PC pre-built on a mall. I had the following parameters on the IPv4 Protocol:
  • IP Address: 192.168.1.41
  • Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
  • Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
  • First DNS: 8.8.8.8
  • Second DNS: 8.8.4.4
I needed that IP fixed because some games I play need forwarded ports, and that is the IP assigned to them on my router.

I bought PC components and made a PC myself a couple of months ago. First, I did not realise about the WiFi card the last PC had, so, as the router is far away from my PC, I bought a TP-Link repeater (tl-wa860re) to connect my PC to it by Ethernet cable.
Suddenly, I realised it was not possible to assigned a fixed IP using Ethernet cable, so I bought a WiFi card (specs of it on Additional Information).

Current situation:

With that card now, the repeater sometimes makes me lose connection to the Internet ("Connected and no Internet" error, but in general it does work great (all of this letting the router assigning IPs automatically).
Now, when I try to set those parameters on the IPv4 protocol I had before on the old PC, it just loses connection and, when connecting to any of my 2 WiFis (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), it does not give Internet, and when setting IP to automatic again, it does receive.
If I set the First and Second DNS as I had in the older PC, the Internet works or not, depending on IPv4 settings, so I think DNS is not the problem.

What can I do to set fixed IP again? I did not gave many details, as I am not very aware of what should I give apart from that

Additional Information:
  • Router: GPT-2541GNAC
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • GPU: NVidia GTX GeForce 1050Ti
  • Power Supply: KCAS 600W AeroCool
  • WiFi Card: EDUP 11ac Wireless LAN Card
    • Standards: IEEE 802.11b/g/n/ac Draft 2.0
    • Interface: PCI-E 1x
    • Channel: 2.4 G and 5 G
    • Bandwidth: 20M&40M&80M bandwidth transmission
    • Model: EP-9607S

Last edited:
Solution
You need to assign a static DHCP lease to your network card's MAC address to be able to set the IP on your computer. First of all, to get your MAC address, go into command prompt and type the command "ipconfig /all". Find the section corresponding to your adapter and note down the physical address. After this, go to your router's setup page (it should be on the default gateway for your router, 192.168.1.1) and enter your credentials (for that specific router, the default username is admin and password is 1234). Go into the section called Advanced Setup, and then LAN. Find the "Static IP Lease List" and click on "Add Entries". Enter your MAC address and the IP you want to assign. Voila! You're done. You don't even have to set the IP...
Oct 8, 2018
You need to assign a static DHCP lease to your network card's MAC address to be able to set the IP on your computer. First of all, to get your MAC address, go into command prompt and type the command "ipconfig /all". Find the section corresponding to your adapter and note down the physical address. After this, go to your router's setup page (it should be on the default gateway for your router, 192.168.1.1) and enter your credentials (for that specific router, the default username is admin and password is 1234). Go into the section called Advanced Setup, and then LAN. Find the "Static IP Lease List" and click on "Add Entries". Enter your MAC address and the IP you want to assign. Voila! You're done. You don't even have to set the IP manually in Windows after this, since the router automatically gives you that IP.
PS: After doing all this, go into command prompt and type "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew"

Reactions: charlyvm_
Solution

TRENDING THREADS