Question Losing internet on PC after connecting a second monitor ?

izoblanc

Prominent
Jan 15, 2023
After connecting a second monitor (HDMI/DP) to my PC, I instantly lose internet via WiFi but signal strength stays the same, as soon as I unplug it, internet comes back.
"This site can't be reached" error pops up. Internet also doesn't work when the said monitor is connected by itself.

(Second monitor is 3 years old AOC I2490PXQU. My sister used it but her PC is connected straight to the router so she didn't have any issues with internet.)

Steps I made (✔ - internet works, ✖ - doesn't work):
  • Connect straight to the router via ethernet cable ✔
  • Removing GPU (connect to integrated gpu) ✔
  • Pluging in an external in USB WiFi ✖
  • All Drivers install and reinstall ✖
  • ipconfig and netsh reset and flush etc ✖
  • Router settings changes or reset ✖
  • Removing all USB cables and accessories ✖
  • Connecting 2nd monitor in different slots and with different cables (HDMI/DP/VGA) ✖
  • OS format ✖
Specs:
  • Internal WiFi Card: ASUS PCE-AX3000 WiFi 6
  • GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro RX570 4GB
  • CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g
  • RAM: 8GB 2400MHz
  • MOBO: Gigabyte A320M-H
  • PSU: 500W Cooler Master
  • SSD: 500GB Kingstone
  • Router: Asus RT-AX55

Last edited:
Solution
Look for some error codes, warnings, or informational events using Reliabiity History.

Start without the second monitor and ensure that all is working normally with network/intenet connectivity fully functional.

Open Reliability History and take a look at the timeline of events, etc..

Then connect the second monitor and observe what happens or changes.

Work through the other things you have tried with the objective being to discover some event that is consistent with the loss of the internet.

= = = =

You can use Event Viewer in much the same manner. Not as user friendly and requires more time and effort to use.

FYI (from this forum):

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Just take your...

Ralston18

Titan
Look for some error codes, warnings, or informational events using Reliabiity History.

Start without the second monitor and ensure that all is working normally with network/intenet connectivity fully functional.

Work through the other things you have tried with the objective being to discover some event that is consistent with the loss of the internet.

= = = =

You can use Event Viewer in much the same manner. Not as user friendly and requires more time and effort to use.

FYI (from this forum):

Just take your time and be methodical. No need to rush through anything.

And, for the record, how old is the PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing?

Reactions: izoblanc
Solution

izoblanc

Prominent
Jan 15, 2023

= = = =

FYI (from this forum):

Just take your time and be methodical. No need to rush through anything.

And, for the record, how old is the PSU? History of heavy use for gaming, video editing?
Sorry I didn't respond. The monitor died just a few days after my post. Didn't follow up with the advice and internet connection returned to normal.