Losing My Mind - P160 Question

Cjack

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
First time PC assembler here. Looking to the Great Gurus for help.

I bought an Antec P160 and an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe. I have a number of issues with getting this thing setup but the one that is driving me crazy is a very basic.

It seems to me that the openinging for the expnasion slots in the rear are not big enough to accomodate components, such as my graphic card. Even the extra USB and firewire ports designed to fit into the exapnsion slots seem to be too tall for the bottom tab to lock in and the top mounting screw to screw in. This is nutty. I've installed cards before with no hassle.

The covers or blanks that come with the case are shorter than the ASUS video card mount. Just doesn't seem to want to fit.

Any ideas on my very basic misunderstanding? I'm assuming the lower tab on the front of the video card should slide into the bottom of the slot opening so that the tab is on the outside of the case.

Arrrrgh.... thanks any one...

Also, if anyone has a P160, I don't see the 2 black USB cables/connectors coming off the front panel for the top control panel USB ports. Did you find them? Ought to be obvious...

cengpkwok

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
I dunno if I'm exactly understanding your problem, but from what I can get from it, I must ask you this one question: Did you remember to install the risers(the weird brass screws that have a long head) for the motherboard? The fit of all the components really rely on this, and since this is your first time, you might have forgotten or had not known, since case makers really don't seem to like adding instructions for their products.

Cjack

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Yes, the standoffs are mounted but the issue has nothing to do with them. The expansion slot openings seem physically smaller than the card face plate that would fit nto the opening. If the lower tab of the face plate is inserted into the bottom of the slot, the top of card cannot be screwed down to secure it in the opening. But this should not bne - this should all be standard stuff. I must just not see the light of day...

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Just went to the newegg site and brought up the product and the reviews. Found this in the reviews:

<font color=red>This is a good case, but it has one major flaw. There is no provision for capturing the bottom of a add-in bracket. While for cards, this is not an issue, for bracket-mounted I/O ports, this is a major issue as the cables will often cause the bracket to rotate. </font color=red>

By looking at the pictures it is hard to see what is going on for sure, but with the statement above as a clue I think the bottom tab of the addon cards may be resting against the removable mobo tray instead of slipping just behind it to lock them in place.

On the few machines I've put together I have yet to encounter this, but these addon card tabs have always had to slip in between the mobo and the case...in your situation, they may need to extend even further which may require you to use smaller standoffs andadjust the position of the tray. I have also used cases that required only one or two standoffs because the mobo tray was already stamped with most of the standoffs...

....WW (4.0)

Cjack

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Thanks, WW, that seems to explain it. I find it hard to believe that in all the other reviews of the case I have read, no one has mentioned this issue. I don't believe it has anything to do with the standoffs. The brackets that Antec included with the case do not fit the expansion slots. The slots on the case are smaller than any I have previously encountered. Isn't all this stuff supposed to be standardized to a degree?

It's just like newegg says, the bottom tab of the bracket on the video card (or the extra USB/firewire connections that Antec included) do not fit in at the bottom.

It's almost as if the entire expansion slot back plate needs to be replaced with a version that has taller slots.

I've e-mailed Antec; be interesting to see if they comment. This is sad for a pricey case.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
<font color=red>Isn't all this stuff supposed to be standardized to a degree?</font color=red>

Err...yeah..heh heh..

Weird problem and only mentioned once in the reviews...I wonder if this problem is just confined to a certain production run of these cases? Maybe Antec will ship you a different one?

....WW (4.0)