[SOLVED] Losing my mind with random disconnects

Feb 9, 2019
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me. Starting a couple days ago I've been getting randomly disconnected from the internet for literally seconds at a time.

It happens randomly - I can go hours without issue or it'll happen multiple times an hour. I can go days without issue or have it repeat endlessly like tonight.

WiFi seems OK, other PC's don't seem to be affected.

The only change I made was moving my router to a new location - but ethernet I'm using to connect to this computer was previously used on another without issue. I literally just swapped ports.

I've run ping tests and when I disconnect I get "General Failure" approximately 2 to 3 times before I'm reconnected.

Event log only shows

"Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Network link is disconnected."
"Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Network link has been established at 1Gbps full duplex."

Other random events from the log:

"The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{2593F8B9-4EAF-457C-B68A-50F6B8EA6B54}
and APPID
{15C20B67-12E7-4BB6-92BB-7AFF07997402}
to the user DESKTOP-S3BBPEI\MyName SID (S-1-5-21-1025514513-2271795505-2868181786-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool."

^ I tried to fix this using some results I found, updating permissions which didn't seem to work.

I've done ipconfig release, renew & flush.

I've checked firewall (it wasn't enabled, Windows firewall)

I've checked for any networking programs such as Wireshark - none.

Things I haven't done yet:

• Safe boot - doing that after this post.
  • Swapping cords again - I'd have to run a new wire (I previously ran this one and haven't had any issues)
  • Plugging this cord into a separate computer

Thanks

Solution
Network link disconnected means you have a failure at a very low hardware level. It is very different than say just not having a valid IP address assigned.

You need to hope this is just a bad cable. It is not likely a driver issue because most this function is not software controlled. You could check for power saving stuff but most times you get a different error.

When this happens it is either a problem with the port on either end or the cable. The cable is the only simple thing you can replace.

Cables are really strange when they go bad. They can work on some machines and not others, they will connect at lower speed or sometimes connect and then disconnect a few minutes later because of too many errors. Most times it...
Network link disconnected means you have a failure at a very low hardware level. It is very different than say just not having a valid IP address assigned.

You need to hope this is just a bad cable. It is not likely a driver issue because most this function is not software controlled. You could check for power saving stuff but most times you get a different error.

When this happens it is either a problem with the port on either end or the cable. The cable is the only simple thing you can replace.

Cables are really strange when they go bad. They can work on some machines and not others, they will connect at lower speed or sometimes connect and then disconnect a few minutes later because of too many errors. Most times it is just a lose end 3connection or some corrosion in the metal but replacing the ends tends to not be worth the effort.

Be careful buying new cable there is lots of fake cable on the market. Do not buy CCA cable or that thin or flat cable none of that cable is certified cable

Solution
Feb 9, 2019

Cables are really strange when they go bad. They can work on some machines and not others, they will connect at lower speed or sometimes connect and then disconnect a few minutes later because of too many errors. Most times it is just a lose end 3connection or some corrosion in the metal but replacing the ends tends to not be worth the effort.

Be careful buying new cable there is lots of fake cable on the market. Do not buy CCA cable or that thin or flat cable none of that cable is certified cable

I did disable the ethernet adapter power saving stuff just to check which did not have any positive result.

I ended up not testing anything else yet because after I made my post last night the issue went away. It was happening very frequently and predictably for a couple hours and then stopped. I'll have to test everything else, including a new line, as soon as it starts to act up again.

To clarify or I suppose expand on the only real change. Last summer I ran an ethernet line to my living room for a small HTPC computer. The line runs to the basement where the modem was. The modem wasn't in a great spot for wifi but we don't use it often so it was a bit of a non-issue. From there - the previous homeowners had installed an ethernet jack at the modem running up to my computer office where there's another jack. That's what I use to connect to my desktop.

However I do have quite a few smart home devices which utilize wifi and getting them a better connection was a bit more important. Last weekend I decided to move the modem to my living room. I have a cable connection there which has gone unused. I connected everthing and verified I had internet.

I then took my previously run line from last summer, connected it to the ethernet jack in the basement and connected it to the modem.

The first night all was fine. The second night I started having issues and I thought maybe there wasn't enough clearance in my entertainment stand and the modem was overheating. I moved it to the top so it would be cooler. The problem went away and I thought all was well. This lead to last night.

I'll check the cable and see if replacing that at the next time it acts up solves the problem. I'll report back as soon as I have an update.

Thanks

Feb 9, 2019
Okay, @bill001g, I have a bit of an update.

I came home today and turned on my computer. As soon as it was on I started getting disconnect / reconnects just over and over.

I rebooted to safemode with networking and have been running ping tests for almost 30 minutes with no issues..

Feb 9, 2019
That means its a driver which is really strange. Then again windows 10 unless you disable it puts in crap drivers on updates sometimes.

Well I'm having other random issues which I think stemmed from me trying to solve this. I've booted back into normal mode and haven't had any further issues (yet) but I've also done more windows updates, ran /sfc scannow and did DISM which fixed some stuff.

I'm having other unrelated issues so I'm pretty sure I'm just going to do a reformat and see if that solves those, as well as these issues...

Feb 9, 2019
Ok @bill001g this is killing me. I installed Windows 10 onto a brand new SSD on Friday.

No issues Friday,
No issues Saturday.

Today I turned it on and Windows installed updates....and now I'm having the occasional issue again.

I've checked my ethernet driver - it's using the same driver it was (from 2016).

I suppose it could be completely coincidence and just weird timing. I'll check a new cable as well.

TRENDING THREADS