[SOLVED] Losing PC performance

Jan 31, 2021
So I recently built my first computer around a month ago and the performance of it seems to be dropping. The specs are an i9-9900k which I overclocked using intel performance maximizer which boosted it to 4.8 Ghz, and an RTX 3060 ti gaming x trio which I have overclocked using MSI afterburner. I am currently running a corsair A500 air cooler for my cpu and just the stock GPU cooling. Other specs are: 16gb 3600mhz ram, 500gb wd black m.2, Asus prime z-390 A motherboard and a 750w bronze psu.

The only game I have really been playing is COD cold war and I used to be able to run the game at pretty much maxed out settings @ 1440p 165hz. Now I had to drop most of my settings to low or medium just to obtain 165 hz. To be quite honest it seems like when I overclocked the performance went down! Any suggestions? Thank you.

Solution
I just followed a simple overclocking guide on youtube for an ASUS motherboard, and my computer would not start, so I had to revert the changes back to stock, just enabling XMP for 3600MHz on my ram. Not sure what went on there as well.

Check your RAMs profile for any XMP profiles in CPUz before Overclocking. If they differ from the Bios profile then it may not work and you will need to go to manual input. This is the AI Overclock tuner and should be set to manual if no XMP profile or the profile differs.

OK so we have a baseline for Overclocking which indicates your PSU provides rail voltages within spec, Your temps are rather high at stock frequency reaching 81C within 10mins with a max boost frequency around 4800MHz on one...
So I recently built my first computer around a month ago and the performance of it seems to be dropping. The specs are an i9-9900k which I overclocked using intel performance maximizer which boosted it to 4.8 Ghz, and an RTX 3060 ti gaming x trio which I have overclocked using MSI afterburner. I am currently running a corsair A500 air cooler for my cpu and just the stock GPU cooling. Other specs are: 16gb 3600mhz ram, 500gb wd black m.2, Asus prime z-390 A motherboard and a 750w bronze psu.

The only game I have really been playing is COD cold war and I used to be able to run the game at pretty much maxed out settings @ 1440p 165hz. Now I had to drop most of my settings to low or medium just to obtain 165 hz. To be quite honest it seems like when I overclocked the performance went down! Any suggestions? Thank you.

Best way to Overclock the CPU is using your Bios. Get rid of intel's performance maximiser and clear your CMOS back to default. Update the Bios and chipset if not already done so.
Bring the GPU overclock back to default.

So we can determine the best settings in Bios, conduct a stress test at stock frequency using AIDA64 to stress the CPU.

In AIDA64 go to the tools section and select the test for CPU,FPU and Cache. Run the test for 10 mins and report results of rail voltages and temperatures during the test. Take desktop screan shots at the 10min mark and Stop the test if temps reach 80C.
Another good monitoring tool when stress testing is HWINFO64 for more detailed info.

You can use IMGUR as a link to the photos if your confused about the results.

You can run a test for the GPU in AIDA64 however Cinebench is the best test.

List the case and fans you are using?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021
Best way to Overclock the CPU is using your Bios. Get rid of intel's performance maximiser and clear your CMOS back to default. Update the Bios and chipset if not already done so.
Bring the GPU overclock back to default.

So we can determine the best settings in Bios, conduct a stress test at stock frequency using AIDA64 to stress the CPU.

In AIDA64 go to the tools section and select the test for CPU,FPU and Cache. Run the test for 10 mins and report results of rail voltages and temperatures during the test. Take desktop screan shots at the 10min mark and Stop the test if temps reach 80C.
Another good monitoring tool when stress testing is HWINFO64 for more detailed info.

You can use IMGUR as a link to the photos if your confused about the results.

You can run a test for the GPU in AIDA64 however Cinebench is the best test.

List the case and fans you are using?

Thanks for the reply! Okay I will do all of those things tomorrow and share the results.

The case I am using is the msi Gungnir 111m. It has 3 intake fans, and one fan for exhaust. The fans are just stock msi fans. The thermals of my system seems to be quite good to be honest, at least on the GPU side. I haven't checked CPU temp as there is no way to tell the temp of the CPU on windows 10.

Jan 31, 2021
So I removed performance maximizer, reset my bios settings to default and reset my GPU overclock. I updated my bios chipset and some other drivers on the ASUS website. I downloaded AIDA and I ran the CPU test for 10 minutes. Here is the link to the results if you want to take a look.
For the GPU I used FurMark, since I already had that downloaded for the stress test and here are the results.

Jan 31, 2021
I just followed a simple overclocking guide on youtube for an ASUS motherboard, and my computer would not start, so I had to revert the changes back to stock, just enabling XMP for 3600MHz on my ram. Not sure what went on there as well.

Check your RAMs profile for any XMP profiles in CPUz before Overclocking. If they differ from the Bios profile then it may not work and you will need to go to manual input. This is the AI Overclock tuner and should be set to manual if no XMP profile or the profile differs.

OK so we have a baseline for Overclocking which indicates your PSU provides rail voltages within spec, Your temps are rather high at stock frequency reaching 81C within 10mins with a max boost frequency around 4800MHz on one core.
CPU core voltage is good at current settings and frequency.

This tells me you have limited overhead with the CPU cooler you are using and considering your base clock is at 3600MHz and core voltage at max 1.332V.

When you Overclock, do not go to your max target frequency. do it in 200MHz steps then stress test.
At each stage of the Overclock you will have to increase the core voltage to maintain stability. If the system refuses to boot then increase the core voltage in .02v steps till it boots. do not exceed 1.4V on the core for longevity.
Sync all cores and set the CPU core ratio limit/Multiplier to 46.

You must be patient with Overclocking so keep it simple to begin with. just use the multiplier and test at 4600MHz all core frequency with turbo mode disabled. Set the core voltage at 1.375V and stress test for 10-20mins. Stop the test if temps exceed 80C. Do not make any arbitrary settings until you know exactly what the changes will do. If your not sure then leave that setting on AUTO. make sure your RAM has XMP 1 or 2 SPD profiles or it may not work.

Depending on the results, other changes such as offsets and LLC (Load line Calibration) and Current capability which may need adjusting to account for voltage droop.
Stress test and report the results.

Last edited:
Solution