[SOLVED] Losing performance

Jul 12, 2019
Hello. Some months ago my hard disk got destroyed or something like that. I sent it in for reparation and I think they pretty much fixed it. I had not used my computer for months then. My computer is a MSi GL72M 7RDX-693NE. It is a gaming laptop. When I got it back from service I noticed that the performance in games such as csgo, Minecraft and fortnite had decreased a lot. It was laggy and could not run at that many fps. My computer was also working quite hard. Today I noticed that my graphics card or something is not anywhere to find on my laptop. I have nvida it says with the GeForce gtx 1050. But cant find anything on my computer. Nothing with GeForce experience or anything. I want my computer to be fine again. Someone please give me tips! Help me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Here is what they list on their website:

Norway
Service Center
InfoCare Workshop
Address: Industrivegen 53 2212 Konsvinger, Norway
TEL: +47 2195 7799 (man – fre, 9-16)
E-mail: serviceportalen.no@infocareworkshop.com
Working Hours: Service Time for Nordic Hotline(we provide only English hotline service): 8:00AM till 16:00PM from Monday to Friday.(National holidays exception).
Note: Toll free Number, basically you are calling us for free Regular, local Number: you need to pay base on your phone operator rates for local calls.
Jul 12, 2019
Can you write what I will do? I am not good at this. I just downloaded Nvida Geforce Experience. I hope that is a step in the right direction. But if I do what you say, do you think this will increase performance in my games? Such as gaining fps? Also when playing Minecraft for example, my graphics says it is Intel(R) HD Graphics 630. I am pretty sure that it said something with GeForce or Nvida there before. Now I cant find anything about it

You don't need GeForce experience, not at this point. You NEED to download the driver package, which I already gave you the link for, and install THAT. That will install the correct drivers for your graphics card and the Nvidia control panel that allows you to auto configure or manually set conditions for what graphics adapter gets used under what conditions, etc., and make changes to other various settings.

GeForce experience, in MY experience, causes nothing but problems and I much prefer the standalone installer that does not include it. But even with it, at least you need to have the basic driver package installed.

Jul 12, 2019
Now it says nvida and GeForce in my Minecraft. However the performance does not seem to have increased. Any idea why or any tips that might solve my problem? I also noticed that the game runs well whenit is not in full screen. Then my Minecraft fps increases with lie 100+. Why is that? But my CPU usage is high and my computer is working hard.

Last edited:
Have you checked your CPU or GPU temperatures while gaming to see if there is a thermal issue? Download HWinfo:

Install it. Open it. Choose the "Sensors only" option. Then open your game and periodically check the CPU core temperatures and GPU temps to see what is happening there. It would not be unlikely on a laptop for there to be a thermal issue affecting performance by throttling something.

Jul 12, 2019
stick with 1 thread. don't spam the forum
When I am playing Minecraft I have much better performance and fps when I am playing in windowed mode than if I am playing in full screen mode. This was not the case before. After I had it on service I think this problem occurred. Can someome please help me so I can play Minecraft in full screen again without losing performance?

Jul 12, 2019
When I am playing Minecraft in windowed mode I get a lot more fps and better performance than I would if I make the game fullscreen. Why does this happen and what can I do to fix it? My computer/laptop went to service a couple of months ago and I have noticed since then my computer`s performance has been reduced. I am not sure why.

Jul 12, 2019
spamming
Hello there. I had my MSI Gaming Laptop sent in for service some months ago. I told them that it was okey if they deleted everything on my computer. Now once i have it back i have noticed that the performance of my computer in games has decreased. They wont generate as many fps and seem more laggy. For example minecraft can have worse performance in fullscreen than in windowed mode. I think that they might have forgotten to install something when they repaired it. What can they have forgotten to install that my impact the performance of my computer? Or could they have damaged it in some way?

Jul 12, 2019
Hello again. I downloaded whatu told me to and i found out something. It says that my CPU temperatures is at a minimum of 44 degrees, maximum of 74 degrees and an avrage temperature of 63 degrees while having minecraft running and having some other websites up. Is this normal? If not, what can I do to fix it?

So, for that CPU those temps ARE within tolerance, but minecraft is not particularly demanding in general so it's not a very good metric to determine thermal compliance. Try running Prime95 for about 10-15 minutes with HWinfo open so you can keep an eye on core and package temps. If it exceeds 80°C then stop the stress test by going to the "Test" menu at the top of the Prime window and then selecting "stop". Choosing exit or clicking the X in the top right corner will not stop the testing. You MUST choose Stop. Be SURE to disable the two options for AVX and AVX2 at the bottom of the option screen that pops up when you open Prime95.

"Disable AVX" will be grayed out but will become available after you put a check in the box next to the option to "Disable AVX2"

If you can remain below 80°C for 10 to 15 minutes of Prime or about an hour of Realbench, if you prefer to run that, then you are ok. Otherwise, there is likely still a thermal issue. As I said before, the cooling systems and supporting hardware including heatsink and paste are simply not up to the demands of long term gaming for long periods of time and things tend to break down. I have yet to EVER see a laptop that this didn't happen to when it was used for more than light demand games but if Minecraft is mostly all you play, then it shouldn't be too much for that system even for longterm sessions.

Jul 12, 2019
You think that i might be missing any programs after my computer was at service? Should i do a Msi factory reset or recovery? You think that it might help? Will I get all the programs i had when i first got my laptop? The drivers, cpu and stuff?

The problem here is we have no idea what that "reparation " involved. It almost sounds like they re-installed Windows and nothing else.

Just to keep things from getting to crazy here, yes, to your last question. Back up any personal data and run the MSI factory reset. As the name implies, this will restore all files to the way they were when you bought the laptop, and anything you have installed since then will be wiped from the drive. BUT, it will restore all drivers to the way they were from the factory, which sounds like it could be the cause of your current issues.

No, do NOT do that. All that will do is put all the factory bloatware back on, which in most cases results in the system running like it has a virus or malware due to the various factory applications, monitoring utilities and "optimization software" that optimizes nothing other than the ability for the telemetry to phone home with your personal information and habits for their own gain. Not to mention, adding a slew of processes to the resource demands of the system causing things to slow even further.

What you SHOULD do, if you feel like it's warranted, is do a clean install of Windows and then put ONLY the applications and drivers back on it afterwards that you WANT on there. Don't put a bunch of crap on there just because the system came that way. In fact, I'd completely get rid of the factory recovery partition completely as it's primarily useless.

You can do a clean install as follows using my guide which gives you step by step instructions on how to do a clean install of Windows. I applogize that some parts of it are currently poorly formatted. Not my fault. The new forum software keeps breaking our tutorials and I'm not fixing them again until they install the new tutorial package addon.

Afterwards, go to your motherboard's product page and install any applicable drivers for your operating system version. Primarily, chipset, networking (LAN and/or WiFi), audio and in some cases USB or storage controller drivers. It might be prudent to download these BEFORE doing the clean install, and save them to an external drive or flash drive so you can install them without having access to the internet if your network adapter doesn't want to work without them installed.

Then you can install any necessary applications you wish to install. Keep in mind, anything that was included with your system and is FREE, you can download from them and reinstall anyhow, and anything that wasn't free but was a time limited trial, etc., is useless anyhow because you're not going to get a new trial of that product so those are just a waste of time to bother with.

No, do NOT do that. All that will do is put all the factory bloatware back on, which in most cases results in the system running like it has a virus or malware due to the various factory applications, monitoring utilities and "optimization software" that optimizes nothing other than the ability for the telemetry to phone home with your personal information and habits for their own gain. Not to mention, adding a slew of processes to the resource demands of the system causing things to slow even further.

What you SHOULD do, if you feel like it's warranted, is do a clean install of Windows and then put ONLY the applications and drivers back on it afterwards that you WANT on there. Don't put a bunch of crap on there just because the system came that way. In fact, I'd completely get rid of the factory recovery partition completely as it's primarily useless.

You can do a clean install as follows using my guide which gives you step by step instructions on how to do a clean install of Windows. I applogize that some parts of it are currently poorly formatted. Not my fault. The new forum software keeps breaking our tutorials and I'm not fixing them again until they install the new tutorial package addon.

Afterwards, go to your motherboard's product page and install any applicable drivers for your operating system version. Primarily, chipset, networking (LAN and/or WiFi), audio and in some cases USB or storage controller drivers. It might be prudent to download these BEFORE doing the clean install, and save them to an external drive or flash drive so you can install them without having access to the internet if your network adapter doesn't want to work without them installed.

Then you can install any necessary applications you wish to install. Keep in mind, anything that was included with your system and is FREE, you can download from them and reinstall anyhow, and anything that wasn't free but was a time limited trial, etc., is useless anyhow because you're not going to get a new trial of that product so those are just a waste of time to bother with.

I might agree with this, except for the fact that the OP said that the laptop is slower than it was originally, meaning that it ran fine with MSI's pre-installed software. I think the current issue just might be that someone did a clean install of Windows and nothing else. And if he were doing a clean install, since this is a laptop, and not a desktop, he wouldn't be looking motherboard software, but software for his laptop model.

Jul 12, 2019
I think i already did the MSi factory reset before I sent it in for service. I am not sure what programs i might be missing either. Can you tell me what programs i need to download and where to get them? I just want everything to be like when I got the computer. With all the programs and my CPU and GPU and the Nvida stuff. The laptop is a MSi Gaming Laptop GL72M 7RDX-693NE (I wrote wrong one above)

As I stated above, it sounds like they just did a Windows install and nothing else when they had your laptop, so the changes you made with your factory reset before sending it in would be moot at this point. If you want it the way it was when you bought it, you would need to do the MSI factory reset again.

Jul 12, 2019
I did the Msi factory reset, and it said it failed. Everytime i start my computer now i get stuck in this loop where it says that auto repair failed to repair my computer. Now I cant enter my laptop at all... :/. This is what made me send my laptop in for service the first time. Is there anything I can do? And if not what should i do?

Who did you send the laptop in to for repair? And the fact the the factory reset failed and caused the issue the first time might have been something for you to share with us earlier on in this thread. Remember, we only know what you share with us.

So there could be a problem with the recovery partition, which is why you got the laptop back with a bare install of Windows. Since the factory reset is no longer an issue, Darkbreeze's suggestion would be the next way to go. It will take more work, but you laptop will most likely end up running better than ever. Let us know if you need assistance with the process.

Once you install Windows 10, here is a link to the drivers you need for that model:
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GL72M-7RDX#down-driver&Win10 64

Jul 12, 2019
Okey, thanks :). But how will i be able to do what DarkBreeze told me to do if I can not enter my computer? It just continues in a loop. It says that auto repair could not repair your computer and then i have to continue to windows 10. Then it restarts and the same message pops up :/