Losing signal to my Asus PB278Q

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I have this display connected to a GTX980 via displayport. At least once daily I will be working on a spreadsheet or whatever and it will just go black. The monitor itself doesn't appear to lose power because I still see the blue LED power light on but if left on its own accord, it will not restart. It requires that I turn the monitor off and then back on. After a few moments the display will return although I will have to drag the spreadsheet back over from a second monitor. Just to clarify, this PB278Q is the only monitor connected to this 980. I have a second and third monitor (Dell U2412M) that are connected to a second GTX980. They run in 1080 where the PB278Q runs in 2440x1440.

I first thought that it might be the monitor but because I have to drag everything back over to the PB278Q I began wondering if it has something to do with the video signal from the card instead. I have checked to make sure the connections are okay as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: 5/12/18. Didn't get any responses so I tried to troubleshoot the problem myself. I swapped the two Dell monitors off GTX980 (2) and connected them to GTX980 (1). I then disconnected the displayport cable off of GTX980(1) and connected it to GTX980(2). I was kind of surprised when both of the dell monitors worked just fine on GTX980(1). One of Dells used the DVI port and the other used the displayport. In any case, the Asus PB278Q still would not work when connected to the second GTX980. I then tried a DVI to Displayport cable where the DVI connected to the 980 and the displayport end connected to the monitor. Still nothing. Finally, I dug up a DVI to DVI from the monitor to the 980 and it worked fine. In my mind this proves that the displayport on the monitor has stopped working since using the Dell worked fine using displayport. Is it common for this PB278Q to stop working at the displayport? It's the first and only Asus monitor I've ever owned.

Kulkiet

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015
Yes it's common....display port lose signal if monitor goes off.. I think it's the monitor or 1080 from my side
You have to power up monitor first then start PC
Currently oc my Asus 278q to 85 hz stable I'm in market for new monitor so I hope it burns. . .haha.btw I had pg279q at home and zero difference in screen and color quality.newer Asus even worse I doubt it's worth the upgrade for hz.pls has nice black no bleeding .seems pls panels were good .maybe too good .I cant even see black Windows bar at bottom .also hard to find 100 srgb 78 adobe