Question Losing SOUND around 40 minutes after gaming ?

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
Windows 10. Updated
Nvidia 3070ti, updated

The computer goes silent, loses Sound completely. Like someone pressed the MUTE button.

So the reason I'm putting this on Graphics Cards forum is because I've narrowed it down to it being a problem from the Video card to the OS. However, I can see through the Sound Settings window, where you test the pings, that it is pinging. And everything else works on Windows and all other programs.
Also I'm suspicious of the video card because it's the last thing I've updated, aside from my display, which is a Sony Bravia a80j (but before you blame the TV, I've tested it with everything else, other input devices, etc. Also played sounds from the settings menu while this problem occurs with the PC, and the speakers are fine)

So, I'm sure it's software related. But I'm not sure which software: the video card's, or the OS. I've tried updating all drivers. Everything is up to date. I'm not sure what could be going wrong.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Ron

UPDATE: Now, more often than not, it has no sound at all from startup. Sometimes there'll be sound for about half an hour. But recently in the last couple of days, there's no sound as soon as the computer starts.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
More information needed.

"Losing around 40 minutes after gaming". Where, how, details? Screen clock?

Check where and how Windows is getting its' time - could be syncing somewhere unexpected or the source is simply wrong.

FYI:

https://winbuzzer.com/2022/04/19/ho...an-internet-time-server-in-windows-11-xcxwbt/

There are other similar links available.

= = = =

New CMOS battery might resolve the problem.
Hey. Sorry I didn't realize my phone mistyped. I'm losing SOUND. The computer just goes MUTE.

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
Update: I Reinstalled the latest NVIDIA driver, from the 5th of January. That seems to have done the trick.

I have sound again. I'll come back if the sound goes out again.

UPDATE : 5:58 PM, Tuesday. It happened again. I was playing for about an hour and a half. I muted the display with my remote for about 10 minutes. Then un-muted, and the sound was gone once again. I reinstalled the driver for a3rd time and it seemed to have "fixed it", again . But don't know for how long. I'll keep monitoring.

Last edited:

RonKorakas

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
UPDATE, 1/18: I've been in contact with Nvidia and we're trying to work it out. The last instruction I got from them was too purge the PC from all Nvidia drivers, and reinstall them, which I'm about to do. But I have narrowed it down to the actual Nvidia driver because I can actually listen to headphones through Bluetooth, so the only sound output driver with a problem is that one, the HD Audio driver.
Will come back with updates.