Question Losing sound randomly

Feb 16, 2021
Ok, I'm not the most tech savy when it comes to computers so bear with me on my explanation lol. I have an older system (works for what I do now) But I do plan on building a new pc in 3-4 months. Ok so my issue is with my sound. This is something that recently started happening. This computer has been reliable 5+ years. Only had to do minor fixes like change out a hard drive and reinstall windows one time. It started with me watching youtube videos or Twitch streams. The screen would turn black and I would see "Your browser encountered an error while decoding the video. (Error #3000) I would usually just close the browser and open it back up and it would run normal again no issues the rest of the night. Now it is doing it more on a regular basis. Sometimes the sound will just stop and the screen freezes F5 or close the browser works sometimes. On twitch streams. I will get the error code pop up sometimes. And sometimes the sound will just stop the video will freeze but the chat still scrolls.

And now what it's doing when I play games and I'm on discord talking to someone. The sound will just drop completely but the game still runs fine without any issues I just can't hear anything. Now if I'm playing wow or something single player I can just close the game out restart it and the sound will come back for awhile then die again but the game continues to run. Sometimes I do a PC restart the sound comes back for awhile longer than it previous did but eventually sound dies again and the game still runs fine. But when I'm playing FPS games and the sound dies I just can't leave the match all the time to restart to get sound without getting penalties or kicked from the game. Device manager shows no yellow ! points all drivers are up to date. I even tried to delete the realtek HD audio manager and reinstall it and get the same issues.

My old pc she been faithful specs are:
Intel I-5-4670 @3.40
Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H-CF
1050 TI GPU
1TB HDD
G-skill 8 gigs
Corsair 750 PSU
Windows 8.1

Thanks for any help I get. Would a cheap sound card work until I can build a new pc?

Last edited: