Losing the network shares some time after login on XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a Windows XP Home system that shares a folder and 2 printers with
2 other XP Home systems and 1 XP Pro system. All 4 computers are in the
same workgroup.

Somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes after startup the XP Pro system
loses the ability to browse the local network and loses contact with the
shared folder and the printers. The share and the printers are still
visible and useable to the other systems on the network

It does not lose networking! I can still ping the other machines and can
read email/browse the internet etc. from the XP Pro system; I just
cannot any longer see the local network, and I am completely at a loss
to understand what has gone wrong or how to solve this.

All help gratefully accepted.

JDL

Netware protocol?

Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost - timeout:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

--
Mark L. Ferguson

Mark L. Ferguson wrote:
> Netware protocol?
>
> Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost - timeout:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

No, it's not that. These are not mounted drives, they are in My Network
Shares. And they do not disconnect, they become inaccessible! Once they
go, I get a message about the share not being available.

Interestingly, I think this might be something to do with address
resolution because though I can't access \\Delilah\Shared I *can* access
\\192.168.0.2\Shared

Any further thoughts?

JDL

DNS fails: restart windows, after you go to start/run, and type CMD, then at that prompt type: IPCONFIG /flushDNS and then :
IPCONFIG /registerDNS

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"John Lagrue" <jdl@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:Ud8Ge.7115$Aw4.379@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
> Mark L. Ferguson wrote:
>> Netware protocol?
>>
>> Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost - timeout:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684
>>

> No, it's not that. These are not mounted drives, they are in My Network Shares. And they do not disconnect, they become
> inaccessible! Once they go, I get a message about the share not being available.
>
> Interestingly, I think this might be something to do with address resolution because though I can't access \\Delilah\Shared I
> *can* access \\192.168.0.2\Shared
>
> Any further thoughts?
>
> JDL

I've had this same problem for some time. Win2000 workstations never lose
connection to server, but XP Workstations do. If you figure out what the
problem is, would you let me know?
--
--------------------------------
Ben Coats

"John Lagrue" wrote:

> I have a Windows XP Home system that shares a folder and 2 printers with
> 2 other XP Home systems and 1 XP Pro system. All 4 computers are in the
> same workgroup.
>
> Somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes after startup the XP Pro system
> loses the ability to browse the local network and loses contact with the
> shared folder and the printers. The share and the printers are still
> visible and useable to the other systems on the network
>
> It does not lose networking! I can still ping the other machines and can
> read email/browse the internet etc. from the XP Pro system; I just
> cannot any longer see the local network, and I am completely at a loss
> to understand what has gone wrong or how to solve this.
>
> All help gratefully accepted.
>
> JDL

Val Clr

Honorable
You guys may want to sort through these:

Try:

DNS fails: restart windows, after you go to start/run, and type CMD, then at that prompt type: IPCONFIG /flushDNS and then : IPCONFIG /registerDNS

Then Try:

Method 1:
Disable any firewall and other antivirus software for test purpose and check the results.

Note: Running the computer without firewall or the anti-virus software is a potential threat to the computer; make sure to enable the security software after completing the troubleshooting steps and after identifying the issue.

Method 2:
Run the fix it from the below link: Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

If the above steps does not help, you may try the steps manually from the let me fix it myself section.

Regards:
Samhrutha G S - Microsoft Support.
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Finally, try:

WHAT I FOUND :
Default configuration of Windows 7 (and Vista) for Network sharing is not well balanced. This must be fixed in registry. I found in event viewer (Administrative Event) a lot of SRV error #2017. This error is directly related with lost network sharing (Xp --> 7).

HOW TO FIX IT :
Start RegEdit, go here an set the following registry key to "1" :
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\LargeSystemCache

Set the following registry key to "3" :
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Size

Reboot Windows 7. You will never have Network share drop again.
I think this fix can also be applied for Vista.

Val Clr

Honorable
---

Another Trick is to install "whoisonmywifi" (scans/revives IPs ever half hour).

---

Tried removing ZoneAlarm

---

I had modified folder/file structure within share, (added & removed files/folders), and so another trick is to unshare all folders and change the workgroup name, then restart, then return to old workgroup and reshare (or even rename) the share folders.

---

Doubtless all useful advice, Val Clr but old threads like this one should be allowed to die quietly so I'm closing it now. There are lots of current (under ninety days) threads which would benefit from your knowledge.