Losing the silicone lottery?

-HH-

Dignified
So basically for 6-7 months now I've been holding off on doing any overclocking to my intel i7 5930k paired with my Asus deluxe motherboard but I did the other day via the ASUS easy tune as I am an utter noob at overclocking and don't want to pop a £500 cpu. None the less through the ASUS easy tune suite I set my memory to 3000mhz (which is stable) and the CPU to the gaming mode which it did.

Instantly I felt the clock was unstable. Playing CS:GO crossed with my GTX 980 it was sluggish at 4k, usually I hit 60FPS fyi.

I thought it might've been a game issue so I tried far cry 4, GTA 5 and Dota 2 all at the relevant settings, same story. Thing is I know the overclock wasn't huge and the temps were running at around 35c idle and 46c under load which isn't going to thermal throttle my CPU. (I am being cooled by a Silverstone TD02-E which I cannot praise enough with the EK vardar fans I fitted to it).

Question is, is this normal or is something wrong with the CPU/Motherboard, or is it me and my 10/10 overclocking skills? If anyone could help that'd be fab and I'd love you alot xox

-HH-

Dignified
Will do when I am home KLawinger,

Eximo, do you know any decent overclocking guides for dummies, I know it doesn't doa huge performance boost to the PC but I'd just like to test what I can do with the components I have without killing them.

Stress test with OCCT.
It will monitor your temperatures and shut down the test if things get too hot.
Other stressers like prime95 or IBT do not use common everyday instructions. instructions.

Also, find out how to do your overclocking directly in the Bios. The automated oc knobs that are used can be overly aggressive.
Monitor vcore with cpu-Z, and keep it under 1.3v.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For dummies, not sure you want to go that route...

Basic overclocking would be to set the multiplier, increase the core voltage, and increase the voltage input (Vin, Vinput) and give it a go. That is generally just used as a test to get a feel for the CPU's limits.

Not really seeing any good guides for Haswell-E. Pretty much all of the same features apply to Haswell though and that seems to be the consensus.

A in depth guide can be found here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1411077/haswell-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

My favorite guide, even though I also have an ASUS motherboard.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

TRENDING THREADS