[SOLVED] losing wifi connection when playing demanding games

Oct 4, 2021
Since upgrading from a GTX 970 to a GTX 1080, I have started losing internet connection when playing demanding games. The ones I’ve noticed it on are Star Citizen and Red Dead Redemption 2. After playing for a bit (normally happens within a few mins but can take longer sometimes) I lose WiFi connection. It still shows as connected but there is no internet. If I turn off the internet button in the notification panel I can’t turn it back on, the button just doesn’t work. It fixes itself when I restart my PC. I am using a PCIe WiFi card as ethernet does not work in the room my PC is in. I have tried updating drivers, rolling back drivers, and turning off auto power off of the WiFi card in power settings. Does anyone know what’s causing this/what can fix it. Thanks

specs - speccy.piriform.com/results/lBKeucvYa08FwCj1mlfjz6T

I have tried all the windows fixes suggested to me here, with no luck. However, I wasn't able to update my motherboard drivers as my motherboard is generic and has no support page, and I was directed to get help for this here.

Does anyone know a fix? Thanks

Oct 4, 2021
That's really slow, even on older homes.

Are you plugged in near florescent lights or into a surge protector?
Nope not near either of those. Idk why it’s like that but the connection is fine on the WiFi normally 6-9MB/s, it just stops working sometimes. Could this be an issue with my motherboard being broken/not supplying enough power for both the GPU and PCIe WiFi card? The motherboard is a generic/unbranded one so probably not the highest quality.

Oct 4, 2021
Do you have an extra router laying around? You can repurpose it to be a wifi bridge from ethernet to wifi to your main router. You might need to install DDWRT on it to have this feature.
I have a spare router but I have no idea how to make a wifi bridge and I don’t really understand stuff i’ve looked at online/stuff i’ve looked at had a lot more options than i do in the broadband admin settings