Question losing wifi network connection during copying ?

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
I have a batch file that uses robocopy to back up files to a wirelessly networked PC. This networked PC is set up to go to sleep in 20 minutes in no activities. Is copying considered an activity that prevents the PC from going to sleep? I'm asking because sometimes the log file shows entries of "the network path was not found" after some successful copying. I'm guessing the PC went into sleep while copying.

Ralston18

Titan
Which log file is showing the "network path was not found" entries?

Is that a problem that has always existed or has just started? In other words; worked for awhile and then the problem started.

Would not expect that the PC would go to sleep during the copying action.

Could simply be that wireless connectivity is being lost for some reason(s).

Test by turning off all "sleep" options on the source computer, the targeted wirelessly networked PC, and other involved devices and determine if the problem continues.

Look (again for all applicable computers) in Reliability History and Event Viewer for any error codes, warnings, or information events that you can associate with "network path was not found" log entries.

jsmith200

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

Robocopy can log the output of its action. That's the log file I was talking about.

Your pointing out the error may be due to the loss of connection is a good point. In at least one occasion, when I got the error, I went to the networked PC, pushed the space bar on the keyboard, the PC woke up, and the copying continued.