[SOLVED] Loss of download speed through router

AlexReitz

Commendable
Jul 12, 2017
My router is a netgear N600 wireless dual band gigabit router. (model wndr3700v4) I pay for download speeds of 100 Mbps. I connect my router to my modem via an Ethernet cable. I then plugged my desktop computer into the router with an Ethernet cable. Nothing is on wireless.

When I plug directly into my modem I get above 100 but when I plug into the router instead of the modem it drops to 9 Mbps. I have tried changing just about every setting in the wifi router settings. I changed out the modem. I changed out the Ethernet cables. I have tried changing out the port I plug the Ethernet cable into on the back of the router. Nothing changes the download speed. I am stuck at 9 Mbps download sometimes slower, sometimes slightly faster.

I have also updated the firmware on the router.

What could be causing this issue? Shouldn't I be able to get the same speed through the router as I am getting through the modem if it is all wired?

Solution
My router is a netgear N600 wireless dual band gigabit router. (model wndr3700v4) I pay for download speeds of 100 Mbps. I connect my router to my modem via an Ethernet cable. I then plugged my desktop computer into the router with an Ethernet cable. Nothing is on wireless.

When I plug directly into my modem I get above 100 but when I plug into the router instead of the modem it drops to 9 Mbps. I have tried changing just about every setting in the wifi router settings. I changed out the modem. I changed out the Ethernet cables. I have tried changing out the port I plug the Ethernet cable into on the back of the router. Nothing changes the download speed. I am stuck at 9 Mbps download sometimes slower, sometimes slightly faster...
That is a very strange speed but it does suggest that you have a port that is running at 10mbps.

This is almost always due to a bad cable. I don't know if you can see the speeds of the ports on that router. Some will tell you the speeds and other do not have the option.

If the ports are all running gigabit then it has to be software related in the router. I would factory reset it only set the admin and wifi passwords leave everything else default. You may have done that already when you upgraded the firmware.

Testing via wireless may give you a clue if it runs faster.

Reactions: AlexReitz

Hello man

Honorable

When I plug directly into my modem I get above 100 but when I plug into the router instead of the modem it drops to 9 Mbps. I have tried changing just about every setting in the wifi router settings. I changed out the modem. I changed out the Ethernet cables. I have tried changing out the port I plug the Ethernet cable into on the back of the router. Nothing changes the download speed. I am stuck at 9 Mbps download sometimes slower, sometimes slightly faster.

I have also updated the firmware on the router.

What could be causing this issue? Shouldn't I be able to get the same speed through the router as I am getting through the modem if it is all wired?

First, connect a computer via wireless. If your wireless transmission speeds are faster, then you know it's probably an issue with the cable.

If they aren't, and WIFI is also slow:

It may be an issue with your modem/router configuration.

Basically, your modem is also a router if you are able to plug your PC directly in and connect to the internet. The function of "routing" i.e. turning your internal IP address in to one the "outside" internet can understand is something that most computers can't do by themselves.

If the modem you have is supplied by your service provider, chances are it is an all in one modem/router, and the Netgear you have is just taking routed signal and re-broadcasting it, functioning as an ACCESS POINT rather than a true "router", if you get my drift.

If you have both your Netgear and modem/all-in-one thing set to be the "router", you'll probably have issues. The Netgear needs to have DHCP and NAT set to "bridged" or "off" since the modem/router combo is already performing that function.

Reactions: AlexReitz
Solution

AlexReitz

Commendable
Jul 12, 2017
First, connect a computer via wireless. If your wireless transmission speeds are faster, then you know it's probably an issue with the cable.

If they aren't, and WIFI is also slow:

It may be an issue with your modem/router configuration.

Basically, your modem is also a router if you are able to plug your PC directly in and connect to the internet. The function of "routing" i.e. turning your internal IP address in to one the "outside" internet can understand is something that most computers can't do by themselves.

If the modem you have is supplied by your service provider, chances are it is an all in one modem/router, and the Netgear you have is just taking routed signal and re-broadcasting it, functioning as an ACCESS POINT rather than a true "router", if you get my drift.

If you have both your Netgear and modem/all-in-one thing set to be the "router", you'll probably have issues. The Netgear needs to have DHCP and NAT set to "bridged" or "off" since the modem/router combo is already performing that function.

If I just use WiFi it is faster but I have tried changing out the Ethernet cables attached to both devices with no change. My wireless speed is 16 Mbps and that is with only 1 device connected and on the same desk.

I reset the router to factory settings again with no change in performance.

Cables aren't bad. Router has been reset to factory. Modem was exchanged with my ISP yesterday. I still get 100 down if I plug directly into the Modem. 10 download if I plug into my Netgear router.

The Modem I have is supplied from my ISP and is an Arris TM1602.

Could this router be a dud that needs replacing or is it just a setting somewhere that needs to be changed?

What router could I get that transfers speed from my router through a wired connection to my computer perfectly?

Thanks for the help!

Hello man

Honorable
If I just use WiFi it is faster but I have tried changing out the Ethernet cables attached to both devices with no change. My wireless speed is 16 Mbps and that is with only 1 device connected and on the same desk.

I reset the router to factory settings again with no change in performance.

Cables aren't bad. Router has been reset to factory. Modem was exchanged with my ISP yesterday. I still get 100 down if I plug directly into the Modem. 10 download if I plug into my Netgear router.

The Modem I have is supplied from my ISP and is an Arris TM1602.

Could this router be a dud that needs replacing or is it just a setting somewhere that needs to be changed?

What router could I get that transfers speed from my router through a wired connection to my computer perfectly?

Thanks for the help!

I'd assume it would have to be a router issue at this point. However, it is always hard to know -- networking can be elusive.

Is there any chance you know anyone else with a router you could snag for a few hours in an attempt to test out speeds? I'd hate to have you go get a new router only to find it is something else.

That modem provided by your ISP is exactly that -- just a modem. No router, so thats a good thing!