Question Loss of FPS after AMD Chipset driver update

Sep 16, 2021
I just built a my first computer and was excited to play a quick game, so I did so before updating all my drivers. I updated all drivers except the AMD Chipset driver because I was not sure how to delete the previous driver before installing the new driver, and didn't want to take the time to look it up...I was excited, remember? Anyways, I played Valorant and I was getting around 400 fps. The next day I went into my bios and tried to increase my RAM speed to 4000mhz and the motherboard did not agree. I quickly changed back down to 2666mhz as it was, or auto and it worked fine. I then installed the AMD Chipset driver and turned on Valorant. The game was almost unplayable, tearing and fps drops below 100. I uninstalled the new driver, then installed the new driver straight from asus website, different version than the armoury crate software suggests to be the latest version, and the same result. Other than that, the only thing I have changed is the lighting effects of my fans and extensions.

My specs are as follows:
ROG Crosshair VIII HERO WiFi
AMD Ryzen 5950x
3090 GeForce Founders Edition
64Gb GSkill TridentZ Royal (Not completely compatible and running at 2666mhz) (Have 64Gb GSkill Trident Z 3600 that will be compatible)
1TB Samsung Pro M.2
360 Corsair Cooling

reducing your memory specs like this will severely impact your AMD processor's performance.
if there is an AMP or XMP profile available to use, use it.
and why would you continue to use an incompatible set when you have a supposedly compatible set available? hopefully not just for their crushed/broken plastic looking aesthetic...

are you using the latest available BIOS?

include your power supply make & model and time in use.

Reactions: StreaminTeach
Sep 16, 2021
reducing your memory specs like this will severely impact your AMD processor's performance.
if there is an AMP or XMP profile available to use, use it.
and why would you continue to use an incompatible set when you have a supposedly compatible set available? hopefully not just for their crushed/broken plastic looking aesthetic...

are you using the latest available BIOS?

include your power supply make & model and time in use.
This is how it initially booted up at the reduced RAM speed. I meant to say the other RAM is being shipped to me and will be installed once here (lesson learned, I thought I bought compatible RAM...like I said, first time build). Updating BIOS now with the latest driver on their website as we speak. PSU is RM1000x Corsair I just curious why such a large fps drop with just a Chipset Driver installed.

Sep 16, 2021
lots of options between the impossible 4000 MHz and 2666 MHz...
Very true. I tried 3666 as well, would boot, but was very slow...very slow...I was scared it wasn't going to go into BIOS mode but finally after about 10 minutes it showed, then I no response to the mouse, so I had to use keyboard to select the RAM speed. When doing so, I would hit the up arrow and it would only register once every 30 seconds or so. So I clicked all the way back to auto and left it...so it boots in 2666 til I get the new RAM in, which was the same speed of the original boot. Everything worked great until that update.

Sep 16, 2021
Updated BIOS to latest version, still low FPS. I guess I will have to wait until I get the new RAM in order to see if that helps with higher FPS. Less tearing today, but still lower fps.