Lost account before the new merge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 30, 2018
Hello, I've been trying to contact support from back in August regarding my account that was locked out after the new merge happened sometime in early 2018. I can't seem to get any response anymore and I wanted to know if it's possible to contact someone to restore my account plesae? Thanks.

p.s. I'm not sure which topic this was supposed to go to so if it's in the wrong section then I apologize in advance. It's just so hard to find out a support info because there's none listed on the front page anymore or I get bounced around and lost through the shuffle...

Solution
Badges did not carry over directly. Some legacy stuff will transition, others not.

Members can now change their email address directly. Have you attempted to regain access to your original account under the new system?
Nov 30, 2018
@COLGeek, Hi COLGeek thanks for the speedy response. I can't seem to private message you. I've been trying community@tomshardware.com for months but I get some very sporadic responses and I follow up as quickly as possible but get responses that stretch to weeks and then months and eventually the person there stopped responding. My old username is quarkzquarkz and if you can send me a pm so I can respond to it perhaps? Thanks!

COLGeek

Cybernaut

I sent you a PM that should be able to reply to. New accounts have a limitation that prevents PMs until you have 5 or 10 posts (I am having a senior moment and forget the current, exact number). I remembered the limitation after responding a few minutes ago. Sorry.

Nov 30, 2018
hi COLGeek, any news update for the account recovery? I haven't received email and I've sent one to community@tomshwardware.com but got a response back saying Mail Delivery Subsystem delivery incomplete.

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
Hello,
I think I have the same problem. I have been away from Tom's long enough to have missed the "merge". I have an account that goes back to the 1990's and now I cannot log in. I am currently logged in via my Google account which has me listed as a new member. Is there anyway to recover my old account?

Thanks

Nov 30, 2018
@swcrapser, Hey man you can try community@tomshwardware.com or private message one of the Moderators here. The problem with my account is I have an old email address that is no longer active but still tied to that account in the old database. Currently it seems as if Tomshardware is going through some internal strife with the devs from the old database schema to the new owners that is slowing things down a bit.

If you still have the existing email it shouldn't be a problem the moderators or @community email folks can forward the change, but to get devs to manually change an email is something that someone higher up needs to personally look at. I've been waiting for many many months now. I've had Catherine from community@tomshardware assist me back in August and now COLGeek but both had said they had to escalate my ticket for the devs, but its been in limbo ever since patiently waiting. Sucks because I had some rare badges and would like to move forward on this. I know it's the Holidays so I guess people are extremely busy but every once in a while I'll think about Tomshardware and my old account~

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001
^^Thanks,
In the last month I sent an email to the community twice now with no replies. So I have no idea what's going on but your response gives me hope. I can't tell if my old email is recognized or not. I tried having a change password request sent to that email address which was received but when I try to change the password via the link it repeatedly states there is an error. This is what I reported but have not heard anything yet.

I can't believe this changeover is blowing away so many long-term members. I can only assume it's affecting many more people for a variety of reasons. Hopefully this will all shake itself out without too much damage.

scrapser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2001

Thanks for taking a moment to reply. I get what you're saying about the changes so I will keep an eye out for whatever develops.

Nov 30, 2018
@COLGeek, heyas just following up again. Any luck yet? I can see the forum went through a visual change which is pretty neat. I know people are saying just move on, but I had some really rare badges that I worked hard to get.

Is there anyway you can get a developer to look into changing my email in the database? I'm sure it would'nt be that difficult I can assist if you need. This is a mere mysql database email change from an old email that no longer exists, and somehow through the late 2017 change over it caused an email conflict when requesting for a password change, and it's been in limbo ever since.

Nov 30, 2018
@COLGeek, Hi Can you tell me how to regain access to my original account under the new system? I can't even log in my original account because it was messed up during the process. Everytime it would ask me to change my password it would say error because I think it would try to send the information to the email address that no longer exists. That was my problem.

Nov 30, 2018
Oh my god, I finally got him back. Thanks man it was a long time coming. Almost a year and a half but he's 100% intact! Please close this thread, I'll choose best answer cheers~

Status
Not open for further replies.