Lost all Faith

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

You have to read all of the articles on the P4 but I think he has been fair to both AMD and Intel here

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

planethardware just lost any respect for objectivity it might have ever had. To paraphrase, "It's obvious that only the Q3 benchmark shows the true ability of the P4 and that the other benchmarks need to be rewritten and optimized for the P4".

Umm.. since when do benchmarks need to get rewritten to show accurate results? Intent is to show how performance will scale with currently available software and to a much lesser extent, future software. If you can't buy the software and you're not able to write or recompile it yourself, what's the point in a tweaked benchmark?

Scientists have known for a long time just how easy it is for emotion to mess up a conclusion. Hypothesize, do the test and look at the results. Did results hold up hypothesis? If no, then doesn't necessarily mean your tests aren't correct.

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."

G

Some interesting posts....but basically the gist is that the P4 runs great on software optimized for it. Well, I don't think Microsoft is going to run out and send me new versions of Windows and Office optimized for the P4, nor is Adobe or any other software manufacturer.

Intel is counting on its reputation and strength in the market to sway developers into using SSE2 and writing for the P4 which will allow the it to shine. Not to mention the fact that most people are obsessed with a CPU's clock speed (but which would you want, a 500 P3 or a 533 K6-2?) so they'll buy a faster cpu regardless of anything else.

And just a few points I wanted to address. 1) whoever said that AMD was sitting on their ass...uhhh, excuse me, but the P3 was just a Pentium Pro with bells and whistles...if anybody is guilty of treading water and only trying to stay a half-step ahead of the competition it is Intel.

It's great that they have this new design, but what choice did they have? The P3 is dead and the Athlon is dancing on its grave.

And 2) AMD can use SSE2 because they are licensing the technology from Intel. A shame really that Intel can force the software market to change its ways simply because of the commercials on tv and then other companies have no choice but to follow suit...

G

Bive Tom a chance!
He starts writing bad articles about Intel because of a lot of dumb-ass moves they have been making and everyone slamms him for being anti-Intel. Now he is trying to give Intel yet another chance and people go the other way and say that he is going to far to make the P4 look good!

P.S. Perhaps if you were to start reading into the articles a bit then you could draw your own conclusions.

G

Geez, don't have a cow, man. The very first post in this thread had a quote to the effect that Intel was the FP king until AMD knocked them off. I just corrected that...

Don't know what you mean by the second sentence...

lrmv

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This sounds as if we don't WANT the P4 to run faster than an Athlon system.

When the 3D-NOW instruction set became available, we were all asking software developers for updated programs and drivers to make software run faster on K6/K7 CPUs.
Now Intel has made new instructions available in it's new CPU, giving software developers new tools to create faster software, but we don't want updates of current software as it might become faster than the Athlon...

Sounds hypocrite to me...

(and don't get me wrong, I've just ordered an A7V with Athlon 1200 MHz, so I'm not Intel biased!)