[SOLVED] Lost all my files after converting MBR disk to GPT

Dalikerhs

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
Long story short i basically converted my mbr disk into a gpt disk and lost everything on it ( i didn't format )

does anyone know how i can find the lost data? i really need to find it because my dumb self had the secret key for my crypto wallet there,,,
if i don't find the data i basically lost over 1000$+++ in nfts...

Solution
time to start using backups etc..

And also, know what you're doing before you do it. Know what specific commands do.

There are ways to convert MBR to GPT, with (probably) no data loss.
(still need a good backup, though)

Dalikerhs

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019

Dalikerhs

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
/clean?

Yeah, you messed up. Hard.
yeah probably... thats why i couldn't find any lost partitions, i guess nothing to do now?
i managed to find some random png pictures using some programs from my old partitions, but nothing special, couldn't find any documents etc. also took a screenshot of that code and couldn't find it.

Dalikerhs

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019
Do you know, what "clean" command does?
It cleans disk from everything - all data, all partition information.

After that you reinstalled windows over cleaned disk. Right?
And all this on SSD.

Well - all your data is gone. I don't think anything can be recovered after this.
yes, after that i used a usb to install windows.

i don't know what i wass thinking.

USAFRet

Titan
time to start using backups etc..

And also, know what you're doing before you do it. Know what specific commands do.

Solution

Dalikerhs

Commendable
Jun 25, 2019

Thanks for your time and help :)

AlbertAZ

Commendable
Oct 5, 2021
Long story short i basically converted my mbr disk into a gpt disk and lost everything on it ( i didn't format )

does anyone know how i can find the lost data? i really need to find it because my dumb self had the secret key for my crypto wallet there,,,
if i don't find the data i basically lost over 1000$+++ in nfts...
With that kind of money involved I would pull the SSD and start contacting some professional recovery corporations and get the final say

popatim

Titan
CLEAN - Only wipes the partition information. On an SSD though, Trim and Garbage Collection would likely erase the unused data cells and prep them for new data; that's what they do of course. It wouldn't hurt to run a data recovery tool just to see what you can still get, if anything.

CLEAN ALL - performs a Secure Erase. Data is gone from an SSD since all the cells are zero'd. An HDD can still have data be recoverable which is why a Military/Dept of Defense wipe encompasses many overwrites.