Question Lost boot to win10 after a plugging an internal DVD drive, repair does not work!!

Jul 15, 2021
Hours ago, i got an internal DVD drive since i needed to use some DVDs, i completely turned off my pc (Desktop)
  1. Unplugged power
  2. carefully plugged the DVD drive
  3. Booted
On first boot it asked for a disk check, i let it run for ~2 hours (has 3 HDDs) after boot it only booted windows 7, I have Dual boot windows 10 and old windows on different hard drives.
It got me worried so i shutdown the pc and unplugged the DVD drive and booted again, this time is the same, asking for a disk check Checking file system on \\?\Volume{......, i let it run but again only boots to the old windows.
I tried to boot into windows 10 drive but fails and recommends to use a bootable disk to repair.
Rebooted again and inserted a bootable win 10 USB, started repair process but it says "Startup Repair couldn't repair your PC"
Anyone can help with this please? i really fail to understand how this simply went wrong in a terrible way

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Did you remove or rearrange any of the hdds to different sata ports?

Win10 likes to put boot loader elsewhere if there's multiple drives connected during the install process. If you did remove or rearrange cables/ports to accommodate the dvd drive, try put back the exact order for the drives as before.

Jul 15, 2021
Did you remove or rearrange any of the hdds to different sata ports?

Win10 likes to put boot loader elsewhere if there's multiple drives connected during the install process. If you did remove or rearrange cables/ports to accommodate the dvd drive, try put back the exact order for the drives as before.
Thank you for your reply

The drive was plugged in to a SATA on top, which then i unplugged, so basically i didn't rearrange anything until i exhausted most options trying to boot.

Running Scanos in the command prompt from the startup repair does not find wind 10 installation either 🤦‍♂️

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS