Lost connection with SSD (primary drive)

Mr13

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Hello, about a year and a half ago I got an Intel 80GB SSD hard drive to use for a boot drive in my pc build. It's been working flawlessly, and is mounted in as special plastic sata case.

This past week I bought a new 500GB Western Digital Hard Drive to install in my pc, I mounted it in my case to find I didn't have a spare power cable, so I left it in there unplugged and reassembled my case, removing 1 fan because it wasn't spinning.

Now, the computer won't boot. In the BIOS it recoginzes all my SATA (2 other hard drives and 1 disc drive) and my 1 IDE disc drive, but it will not read my intel 80GB SSD.

I have no idea what could have gone wrong, the drive was working perfectly last week and was not touched during my installation of my new 500GB drive. Wires are all still in place and I tested all the ports, and everything seems fine.

I also currently put it in an external SATA mount, and attached it to my laptop via a USB cable, to which my laptop saw the drive but recognized it as "not initialized."

My pc specs:
AMD Phemon 9850 2.5GHz Quad Core
6GB DDR2 800Mhz RAM
Asus M3a78-t Motherboard
2x ATI Radeon HD 3870 Video Cards (crossfire setup)
1 1TB Seagate Hard Drive (SATA)
1 160GB Backup Drive (SATA)
1 80GB Intel SSD (SATA)
1 500GB Western Digital HD (SATA)
1 Asus CD/DVD drive (SATA)
1 Sony CD/DVD drive (IDE)

600W Power Supply

Does anyone know what could have happened to my drive or how I could fix it? The problem is just in the computer reading the drive. All help is appreciated.

Well, that's exactly the right test. Determine if the problem is in the drive or somewhere else.
The bad news is, the problem is almost certainly in the drive. You could
■ Restore your most recent backup image to the drive, if you have one
■ Search the forum for Drive Recovery and download one of the utilities that will read a drive sector-by-sector and look to see what files you can recover. Almost all of the good ones will scan for free but charge to recover more than a few K. The best chance of one working is if you have not done any operations, especially write, format, or partition, to the drive since it failed.
■ Try the drive internally in another computer

Or do something that I haven't thought of. But the key thing is that you appear to have isolated the problem: your drive got corrupted, malwared, fried, reinitialized, or otherwise rendered nonfunctional.