Lost Disk space on external HDD after formating

IceT1

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
I have a 2TB Samsung external HDD,
It was delvered with FAT32 and everything was working fine.
I tried to format it (without quickformat) under Win8 to NTFS. Because it took so long, power management turned off the computer.
After that the drive had only 37GB left and there is no way to get the rest back.
I tried everything like reformat, partition recovery, disk management, all kind of data recovery, etc. They all see a disk size of 37GB.
Is there a way of setting the disk properties manually or a recovery tool which really reads the physical structure of the disk?

APassingMe

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
You will have to completely delete the partition and format it again, I don't remember if you can do that through disk management or if the disk part tool on command line is required. It will take a long time to do a full format though (days potentially so make sure to adjust your power settings before starting).

IceT1

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
Thank you ahnilated for the hint with FDisk, I haven't tried that. It could not solve the problem, but it showed me also a physical disk size of 37GB.
It looks like the external USB HDD is showing that size to the computer. It must be something in the drice itselve.
And to explain that it is not a damage: I have a second one of the same type. Because I could not belive it, I tried it there too...that size is now arround 80GB :-(