Question Lost display randomly

Mar 10, 2019
So i noticed that lately my screen has been randomly going black for about 1-2seconds when i'm playing. It happens once ever hour or so.

I though it was a driver issue, so i downloaded the latest drivers on my GPU and Monitor, but it still happened.

So today i was playing Rise of The Tomb Raider and completely lost display, it didn't came back, i noticed audio was working and i could hear myself playing normally even though the screen was black.

So i just rebooted and display came back.

I don't want this to happen again, is there a way to fix it?

My build:
Core i5 3330
ADM Rx 560 4gb
Mobo Asrock H61M-HG4
8gigs of RAM
PSU corsair CX450
SSD drive
Monitor HP Compaq LA1905wg (connected with display port cable)

katsushige724

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
When I was having this issue, it turned out that heat was the culprit despite the temparature readings being within the supposedly safe ranges for my GPU.

I'd keep tabs on that to make sure things aren't getting too toasty.

Mar 10, 2019
When I was having this issue, it turned out that heat was the culprit despite the temparature readings being within the supposedly safe ranges for my GPU.

I'd keep tabs on that to make sure things aren't getting too toasty.
Hey thanks for the reply,

However, my GPU never goes past 71ºC, and now i noticed that i've been losing display doing mundane stuff like browsing this forum, so temperature is really not the issue.

I'm thinking about blaming the cable, since i can still hear myself playing from a black screen. But that too poses some problems like: I) I don't have a spare cable to test it II) That wouldn't explain why i can just reboot to get display back.

So i also think it may be the mobo's fault, but again, there's no way to test it since i don't have another mobo. I though about trying to plug directly through the igpu of the mobo to test it but I don't have a VGA cable to plug it in (my mobo is pretty old so the igpu has only a VGA imput).

I heard it could be that the GPU is loose on the PCI-e, but again rebooting it fixes the problem for no reason (also i tried hold the gpu tight into the PCI-e with my hands to see if that was the case but nothing happened).

I also don't think it's the GPU since i just bought mine literally 2 weeks ago and i've been having a similar problem with my old GPU as well. Although, the problem with the old one was different, instead of just losing display, the GPU would stop completely (fans included), i could still hear audio if i was watching a video but definitely could not hear myself playing a game, with the new GPU it seems to be 100% fine even after the screen goes black.

So yeah, i'm running out of ideas.

Mar 10, 2019
Update: I realised i was using AMD's optional (not staable) drivers, i've now insalled the stable drivers along some other mobo drivers i had missing.

I'll post here if anything changes.