Lost file Format on one partition of HDD. Please Help

Marek_G

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Hello,
Hi,
In my desktop I have 2 drives, C drive with Windows XP SP2 and all the applications, the second drive Seagate 250GB partitioned to 2 partition. One named H "DATA" and the s the second no name just drive letter I.
Main board fried so W was left without desktop comp.
I took out the H/I HDD and wanted to use it ono my laptop in an external HDD casing so I removed a drive from my MAXTOR one Touch External drive and inserted my Seagate H/I drive. Since the USB port was already occupied I connected it via a FirwWire port. The message "New hardware found" and needed to install driver so I shoved in the CD that came with Maxtor Ext. HDD. Windows installed the driver and a message poped up "drive not formatted, do you want to format?". I clicked NO and disconnected the drive.
Now Windows can nor read the drive.
I run Partition Magic and found two Partitions:
DATA 128GB FAT 32 Starting as sector 63
Scond partition is 105 GB of unknown format Type 7 ,
First physical sector 268,462,215 cyl 16,711. hd 0. sect 1
Last physical sector 488,392,064 cal 30,400. hd 254 sect.63
When I run GetDataBack Partition DATA is fully recoverable but the second partition ,which is indicated as NTFS 105GB, scan results in error "I/O Error Unknown error (65284) reading sector 268462215 on HD129; Do you want to continue?" I answer Yes to All and scanning continues through all sectors and then massage "No file system found" we suggest using GDB for FAT.
I did with the result that no FAT file found , use NTFS version.

Any suggestions how to recover files from the second partition??????
Desparatly need help.

Marek_G

If partition magic cant read the partition, then you possibly have physical damage. If you really need the data off of it, you may have to find a data recover company that will salvage what they can from your hard drive, but it may cost up to a few thousand $$ to go that way.

Its also possible the Maxtor one-touch driver (I hate how intrusive they made it) is causing the problem. You may need to remove and uninstall it.

Marek_G

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Thanks for your thoughts but it is not the case.
There is no damage to the drive. And I am 100% sure the data is there. Now I have the drive connected via USB. I do not understand how it happened but the file format is gone.

Is there any way to get it back? I can not think of any but maybe somebody can.