Lost folders

Parsifai55

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Hello,
My computer had a problem and I restored the system but my document and picture files are missing. The documents and pictures are htere but no folders

If you did a "restore", it wipes your existing data, and will tell you in great big letters before you start.

Run a program like Recuva, it may recover the files for you that were deleted during the installation. You may want to bring the drive to someone that works on data recovery for a living, the more you mess with your drive (using it even), the less chance you have on recovering any files.

You have a very good chance of getting at least some of your stuff back though.

Parsifai55

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Thanks for responding but I believe a System Restore just plays with settings, taking you back to a prior point in time. It doesn't alter any files or documents. From what (little) I know it just helps get rid of any changes that may have disrupted the operation of the computer by going back to a point in time when it worked correctly?

OK, a windows restore point will not do anything with the data. There is a restore that can be done to bring back a PC to factory settings, that one will wipe the drive.

What do you mean the files are there but not folders? The files are stored in some folder, did they somehow get dumped into one folder from where they were?

TRENDING THREADS