Question Lost monitor connection after launching any game

May 30, 2021
When Launching any game all of my monitors flicker for a split second and then my main monitor that the game is being displayed on goes black and says its lost signal to the computer with the other monitors Freezing and only displaying what was on them at the time the main monitor lost signal. I also lose the ability to navigate the computer and have to do a direct restart of the system. This just started happening yesterday after a year of no problems with the pc at all. I'm running a EVGA 2080 FTW super, i7 9700k 32 GB RAM and a EVGA 850W T2 power supply. I've updated all my drivers to the latest they can be and ran an SFC scan with nothing working. any advice that doesn't require a fresh windows 10 install would be greatly appreciated.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
These sorts of issues are often heat and/or power related. Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

What are your CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load?

Did you install or change anything just prior to this starting to occur?

May 30, 2021
These sorts of issues are often heat and/or power related. Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

What are your CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load?

Did you install or change anything just prior to this starting to occur?

My Temps are idling at 35 C on both CPU and GPU and under load they sit around 50-60

My CPU is Overclocked to 3.6 GHz but my max is 4 GHz GPU hasn't been overclocked at all and has 7000 MHz on memory and 1650 MHz clock speed and uses 50-55 W

I updated windows a day or two ago and my GPU Drivers the day before that Microsoft web runtime was installed with the windows update but beyond that nothing was changed within the last 5 days

Last edited:
May 30, 2021
So i did a lot of stuff I popped out the GPU with the same issue. however if I change what monitor is my main display the issue no longer occurs i have also checked with multiple other display port adaptors and HDMI cables with no change it seems to only be when my gaming monitor is set as the main monitor.
Edit: games will run on other monitors but as soon as I move them back onto my original main gaming display I lose connection to my monitors and have to hard reset

Last edited:
May 30, 2021
I'm running 3 displays but with two all is fine and i can run games with 3 so long as the game isn't being displayed on the problematic one
and the monitor works perfectly fine on my friends computer.

May 30, 2021
so unplugging one of my monitors and plugging it back in seems to have fixed the issue but that monitor wasn't being for gaming at all so idk how that could have affected it.
Edit: it started happening again but disconnecting the HDMI and connecting it again fixes the issue what could be causing this?
its almost like the computer gets confused about witch monitor the game should be displayed on and when you remove one everything pops back on

Last edited: