Question Lost my OC and can't get it back

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I've had the system for a while and never really had any luck with manually overclocking. The AI, however, gave me something like 5.3GHz on 1 core, 5.2GHz on 3 cores, 5.1GHz on 5 cores, and 5.0GHz on all cores. I remember they were odd numbers, but maybe they are suppose to be.
I bought a new case, TT The Tower 500, upgrading from my BeQuiet Silent Base 801, so I could fit all the cooling parts. I bought some ARGB fans and I wanted to be able to use the colour settings, so I installed AI3 Suite. My computer seemed to be having issues, so I reformatted (Windows 11 Pro), and I also flashed the BIOS to the new one (1701). Ran all the updates and decided to give Armory Crate and AISuite a go again. Everything shows up as being the same for the clock speed settings, in the BIOS, Armory Crate, and AISuite, but when I try to benchmark it with Cinebench, it starts off at 5.3GHz, then instantly drops to ~4.5GHz, with the temperature ~65°C, so it wasn't thermal throttling. I've been trying for hours to figure out how to get it back. Even before that, I decided to try and give manual overclocking a try and I had a stable 5.5GHz on 2, 5.3GHz on 5, and 5.2GHz on all. It did reach 100°C, so I thought I'd AISuite to see about the fan controls and other stuff. No luck. I've even tried uninstalling AISuite, but still the same thing. Everything still says 5.3GHz, etc, but when it's stressed, it drops.

Asus Strix Z590 Gaming-E Wifi
Core i9 11900k
4 x 32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair
2 1TB m.2
1 512MB m.2
1 1TB SATA FireCuda
BeQuiet Dark Pro 1500W
Alphacool 11469 Eissturm Hurricane Copper, plus added 280 Alphacool Copper RAD, 400mm reservoir, and another pump.

zx128k

Reputable
It will reduce the frequency as was to stay within the power target. Cinebench is one of those programs that will cause a CPU to reduce frequency if the power target is too low. With manual overclocking you unlocked the power target. LLC and vcore will cause you to draw more power. This then requires more cooling. So you have to pick a balance between them to keep temps under control. Now 100c on the cpu is not a good idea because you get more heat and then this requires more vcore. Once the temp both cpu and vrms get too high them you will see reductions in frequency.

If you are just into games, then set a power target that keeps the core frequency high in games and reduces the frequency in heavy loads. Thus temps remain low and thus you never need to pump high vcore into the cpu. Its how I'm trying to get and keep 5.2GHz AVX on my 10900k. Right or wrong thats how I have been overclocking to keep temps, LLC and vcore as low as possible. This also reduces VRM temps as well.

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
It will reduce the frequency as was to stay within the power target. Cinebench is one of those programs that will cause a CPU to reduce frequency if the power target is too low. With manual overclocking you unlocked the power target. LLC and vcore will cause you to draw more power. This then requires more cooling. So you have to pick a balance between them to keep temps under control. Now 100c on the cpu is not a good idea because you get more heat and then this requires more vcore. Once the temp both cpu and vrms get too high them you will see reductions in frequency.

If you are just into games, then set a power target that keeps the core frequency high in games and reduces the frequency in heavy loads. Thus temps remain low and thus you never need to pump high vcore into the cpu. Its how I'm trying to get and keep 5.2GHz AVX on my 10900k. Right or wrong thats how I have been overclocking to keep temps, LLC and vcore as low as possible. This also reduces VRM temps as well.
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. Ever since I got the CPU and mobo, well over a year now, it's been running with the the AI overclock, and it was always running at the 5.3-5.0GHz. And I actually did run CineBench before I touched anything to get a baseline to start from, so it was working all this time.
I have my RTX 3090 ti coming back from repair today. I've been stuck with a GTX 1060 6GB for the past month (I know, first world problems, eh?). So I think I'm probably going to put the BIOS to optimized defaults and reformat, and this time stay away from Asus Armory Crate and AI Suite. I've noticed that it's back to being sluggish again. I know of Fan Controller from Jays2Cents, but the only real reason I went for the Asus software was for the ARGB control.

zx128k

Reputable
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. Ever since I got the CPU and mobo, well over a year now, it's been running with the the AI overclock, and it was always running at the 5.3-5.0GHz. And I actually did run CineBench before I touched anything to get a baseline to start from, so it was working all this time.
I have my RTX 3090 ti coming back from repair today. I've been stuck with a GTX 1060 6GB for the past month (I know, first world problems, eh?). So I think I'm probably going to put the BIOS to optimized defaults and reformat, and this time stay away from Asus Armory Crate and AI Suite. I've noticed that it's back to being sluggish again. I know of Fan Controller from Jays2Cents, but the only real reason I went for the Asus software was for the ARGB control.

When you update the BIOS it can affect the overclock. Before it could have unlocked the power draw more but after an update this could not longer be the default behavior. This is why once an overclock is stable, overclockers wont update the BIOS unless they are forced too. You basically have test the overclock over again and make tweaks if required. Sometimes you have to reduce the frequency of the CPU. It can affect RAM overclocking as well.

New BIOS can also mean the manufacture updated the AI overclocking algorithm tweaked many bios settings.

Reactions: Phaaze88