[SOLVED] Lost OEM product key

architect md

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Hi,

Just built myself a new pc, inc. new ssd, complete new build. I created an installation usb from my old pc and installed windows on the new one. Unfortunately I cannot activate as I have lost my OEM product key (and it doesn’t show up with ShowKey).

Is there any way to use the ssd I have in my old pc to activate the new system?

thanks

Solution
Since you have different hardware, moving your SSD to the new PC won't just activate Windows.
The license is attached to the hardware, not the SSD.
If you created a Microsoft account and linked it to your PC license, then you could activated the PC by login into your Microsoft account.

You could use the Windows 10 Activation troubleshooter and select 'I changed hardware on this device recently'
Since you have different hardware, moving your SSD to the new PC won't just activate Windows.
If you created a Microsoft account and linked it to your PC license, then you could activated the PC by login into your Microsoft account.

You could use the Windows 10 Activation troubleshooter and select 'I changed hardware on this device recently'

Reactions: architect md
Solution

architect md

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008

Wow that was so easy!! If there weren’t a pandemic on I’d hug you! Thanks so much, avoids another trip into the loft to try to find the box.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually yes according to the OEM license, but MS doesn't really seem to care as long as everyone uses W10.

Oh you are absolutely not wrong. So long as they have you using their OS most likely to turn a blind eye.

I had a situation some time back where I opted to go with a different system on a "retail" license. Worked fine while the motherboard and proc I initially installed to where out of service. I hadn't properly cleared that hardware ID (I suppose) and when the parts got sold off later I lost activation on the newer machine. Just simple things to pay attention to.