Question Lost Signal from main GPU when plugging in secondary GPU

May 11, 2021
Hi there,

I've recently brought a second hand graphics card (AMD Radeo R9 380) to use as a secondary graphics card, however I ran into some unusual issues when testing the card:

When I power on my PC with both cards connected I don't get any signal to my monitor, however I've not moved the cable from my primary graphics card and was getting signal fine before installing the new secondary card. Then when removing the secondary card signal returns from my main card as normal. Both cards power up on starting the PC and all fans appear to be running fine.

My primary card is an Nvidia GTX 1060 (3gb) so I first thought this might be down to having two GPU's of different makes in the same machine, however everything I've read on the internet about this says it shouldn't cause an issue as long as both sets of drivers are installed. Also the secondary card (R9 380) is installed on a PCI-E riser card if that makes a difference.

Any ideas as to what might be causing the problem?

Thanks!

Everything can power up....and you can still get what you are getting...if there isn't enough power.

I'm not saying "for sure" that's what it is....but it can be....and the SATA power with converters adds to the chances of it giving you problems in my opinion.

A 560 watt load on a 650 watt supply is closer than I like to be.

...and I don't see any other reason that would be as likely to me as the PSU.

If the PSU couldn't supply enough power it could cause this.

I don't know of many other things that can cause this.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Hi there,

I've recently brought a second hand graphics card (AMD Radeo R9 380) to use as a secondary graphics card, however I ran into some unusual issues when testing the card:

When I power on my PC with both cards connected I don't get any signal to my monitor, however I've not moved the cable from my primary graphics card and was getting signal fine before installing the new secondary card. Then when removing the secondary card signal returns from my main card as normal. Both cards power up on starting the PC and all fans appear to be running fine.

My primary card is an Nvidia GTX 1060 (3gb) so I first thought this might be down to having two GPU's of different makes in the same machine, however everything I've read on the internet about this says it shouldn't cause an issue as long as both sets of drivers are installed. Also the secondary card (R9 380) is installed on a PCI-E riser card if that makes a difference.

Any ideas as to what might be causing the problem?

Thanks!
Assuming your 1060 is connected to the main (PCIEx16) slot, did you try the 380 by itself in that slot to see if it works and you get display signal?

You should also check in your BIOS settings for dual display options.

May 11, 2021
I've installed an extra 500w psu which is just powering the R9 380 and riser. I've got to the point where the card is being detected by GPU Z and device manager with latest drivers installed but I get no signal from it when plugged in.

Ocassionally the PC will fail to boot with the VGA led left lit on the mobo, other times it will boot fine with both gpus.

Not sure whats happening tbh.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
I've installed an extra 500w psu which is just powering the R9 380 and riser. I've got to the point where the card is being detected by GPU Z and device manager with latest drivers installed but I get no signal from it when plugged in.

Ocassionally the PC will fail to boot with the VGA led left lit on the mobo, other times it will boot fine with both gpus.

Not sure whats happening tbh.
Assuming your 1060 is connected to the main (PCIEx16) slot, did you try the 380 by itself in that slot to see if it works and you get display signal?
You didn't answer this part. You need to test the "new" part separately and see if it works by itself.

TRENDING THREADS