Question Lost signal from new graphics card, but it came back after I rebooted ?

SLR2009

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hi, I just upgraded to a Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 1050 Ti and it's connected to my TV using HDMI . My motherboard is an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe and I'm running Windows 10. This morning I saw that I have no signal to my TV. I shut down the PC, rebooted, and now I have signal again. The latest drivers in device manager for this GPU is 30.0.14.9729 which is from 2021. It tells me that the best drivers are already installed. Any ideas why I lost the signal? What do you recommend I do next? Thanks

SLR2009

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hi, I lost signal again. I checked Nvidia's Website but I'm not really sure what the correct drivers I need to download and install. Also do I manually click what I download to install or do I direct the installation to Device Manager? Do I install the latest drivers in Safe Mode? How can I find out what PSU I have? Would the correct Driver version be 531.79?

Colif

Win 11 Master
you can download this and it will find the latest drivers for you- https://www.nvidia.com/en-au/geforce/geforce-experience/

you can't install drivers in safe mode. The drivers come as an application that you run that installs them.

Would the correct Driver version be 531.79?
yes

Is this a brand name PC or custom? Since you don't know what PSU you have, I have to guess its brand name? What make/model?

otherwise, only way to know is to look in case and see what you have.

SLR2009

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hi, it was a custom built PC from around 2012. After I lost signal and shut down the PC I can't boot into windows now. The windows log shows up on the screen but it wont get passed that screen. Startup repair couldn't repair the problem. I can't do a system restore. I don't know how to boot into safe mode. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
logon screeen shows?

click power button in bottom right
while holding left shift, click restart button

PC should restart in a blue menu
  1. choose troubleshoot
  2. choose advanced
  3. choose startup settings
  4. click the restart button
  5. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  6. Pc will restart and load safe mode

there is safe mode...

could be PSU doesn't have enough to run GPU. Its a PC from 2012, I would replace PSU anyway... its 11 years old.

You might need to take PC to repair store to identify the cause.

SLR2009

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Hi, I don't think my PC gets that far. After the Bios screen I just see the windows logo and a startup repair automatically begins. A message at the bottom says critical process died and it restarts. My previous Video Card was an Nvidia Geforece 460 which had 2 6 pins plugged in. My new card doesn't have any Pins.

Colif

Win 11 Master
A message at the bottom says critical process died and it restarts.
thats a BSOD. Its windows... Critical process died is specifically a WIndows error - it can be a number of files, but any of which fail, windows does too. Its the sort of error that likely stop you getting into safe mode, even if I showed you how.

not a great reaction to a shutdown...

On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB - its a handy boot drive if nothing else

so wonder what killed windows.

I can show you how to access any info on the pc, you need an installer to do it. Boot from the installer

• on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
  • choose troubleshoot
  • choose advanced
  • choose command prompt
  • type notepad and press enter
  • in notepad, select file>open
  • Use file explorer to copy any files you need to save to USB or another hdd

We might need to clean install but with PC randomly losing signal, I am not sure if getting a repair store to look at it wouldn't hurt. 10 years is a long time, things start to fail. They can put windows on it for you too. Not that it is a hard process.

SLR2009

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I did a clean install, I downloaded and installed Geforce Experience. I selected the newest driver, it began installing it and then I lost signal halfway through the installation. Does it take awhile for the drivers to install? Should I leave the PC for awhile?

SLR2009

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I selected the latest driver with the Geforce Experience App but halfway through installation I lost signal. I waited 20 minutes but there was still no signal so I shut down my PC. Device Manage and GeForce Experience show a new driver installed. Do you think the driver installed correctly even though I shut down my PC?

Last edited: