Lost storage and still in frozen state after secure erase Samsung 850!!

Wilson Yu

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
I lost about 36GB of storage after secure erase and the drive is still in "frozen state". What can I do to get my 36GB back and I used the Magician tool Samsung provide to create a bootable drive to do the secure erase. What did I do wrong?

After reading some article online, it seems like I am not the only one with problems like this, losing some storage space after using Samsung's "Secure" erase... Did anyone found the solution to this? Or I am just happen to be one of the victim of "secure" erasing their SSD?

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
You talk about losing 36 GB storage, is it possible that your drive has around 464 GB capacity? If yes than everything is fine, this is a calculation between 1000 and 1^10=1024. If you 500 GB with 1024 you get 465 GiBi. Windows always operates with the binary.
SSD is always in frozen state. Modern BIOS lock SSDs for protection, you need a power cycle to perform a secure erase.

Wilson Yu

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

I agree with you, but I don't think 465 is my initial storage when I first installed window 7 in it. I also checked is there any hidden partition created from this 500GB drive, but found nothing... I think this is more than just the calculation method that is causing this and talking about power cycle, how can I perform what you said in a laptop?

Palorim12

Distinguished
The 500gb SSD, when plugged into the system, comes to around 465GB because of the explanation Mad MAx said. The bigger in capacity you go, the more noticeable it is. For example, a 1tb Evo drive comes to about 935GB, give or take.

Wilson Yu

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

Hum...If that is the case then I might be rembering it wrong, thanks for the clarification.