Question Lost USB 2 ports, then lost power to the computer ?

highstream

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2012
Win 10 Pro desktop with ASRock Z97 Extreme6 motherboard. Yesterday I lost the case's front USB 2 ports, but not the USB 3's (I didn't check the back USB 2 ports). Today, while trying to figure it out I mistook the USB 3 board connector for the 2 and moved it to another USB 3 port on the mobo and started up. The power ran momentarily then shut down, with the red power and reset lights showing. I turned off the computer's power switch and moved the USB 3 connector back to its original spot and pressed the case's start button. No power at all. My first thought was a blown fuse, but I'm not finding one on the board or in the manual. So the battery? I've removed the graphics card, but am not sure how the battery comes out. It's a tight space and I don't want to break anything. Thanks,

Last edited:

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Could be anything on an 8-year-old setup. Disconnect those case front USB connectors and try again. With luck that's the only thing that went bad.

Are the front panel connectors on a USB hub sharing a single motherboard connector, or something else?

If that doesn't help, I'd suspect power button cables and PSU before CMOS battery. Worst case scenario here is a dead motherboard.