[SOLVED] Lost user account and files

Apr 6, 2020
Today I brought my pc from a computer repair store where they replaced my processor while they sent the old one to warranty.

When I turned it on it took me to the account set up like it was the first time I was booting Windows.
I logged in with my most used microsoft account.
The problem is it took me to what I guess is a new user because all my files are gone and can't change back to my preivous desktop.
Could this happen because I might logged in with a different account as I did before?
Also when I go to C:\Users it only shows me this account I'm using now and nothing else.

edit: when I enter the bios my ssd shows as "Windows boot manager" followed by the name of the ssd.
Also, I've called them back and they said they didn't reinstall windows.

Last edited:
Solution
They may have done a full reinstall.
Unprofessional of them not to give you prior warning, but backups and your data are your responsibility.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Today I brought my pc from a computer repair store where they replaced my processor while they sent the old one to warranty.

When I turned it on it took me to the account set up like it was the first time I was booting Windows.
I logged in with my most used microsoft account.
The problem is it took me to what I guess is a new user because all my files are gone and can't change back to my preivous desktop.
Could this happen because I might logged in with a different account as I did before?
Also when I go to C:\Users it only shows me this account I'm using now and nothing else.

They could well have rebooted Windows as part of their troubleshooting. It's not unusual to consider the OS when having computer problems.

Hopefully you had back ups?

Apr 6, 2020
I've called them back and ask if they did it or if noticed something different while they were testing it.
They said they didnt reboot or reset anything...

I had no back ups..