lost win 7 OS while upgrading to windows 10 failed. using HP Elitebook laptop

Raj_13

Commendable
May 24, 2016
hi, I was upgrading from win 7 to 10 as a free upgrade, that kept on failing on my hp elitebook. it has 8 gb memory and 500 gb hdd.
After few fails, and trials, I finally lost even the windows 7 os. Now, the pc system powers on and the windows icon just keeps hovering and goes back to power on and off. that's it! I am lost!!!!
I have no original CD for recovery neither a backup anywhere; and the laptop is 3 years old.
Pls. advice. in the past, TOms hardware forums have helped me immensely. thnx - rajs13

Solution
You can test it in that PC using the hirens boot cd and booting to Parted Magic and testing that way, or as you described plug it into a desktop pc via sata connection or external enclosure. Some enclosures don't let you read the SMART table on the drive which is the red flag for a failing drive though, so I'd recommend the Hirens cd or the straight sata to pc connection

Corey Schneider

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
You can test it in that PC using the hirens boot cd and booting to Parted Magic and testing that way, or as you described plug it into a desktop pc via sata connection or external enclosure. Some enclosures don't let you read the SMART table on the drive which is the red flag for a failing drive though, so I'd recommend the Hirens cd or the straight sata to pc connection

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
you could try this: http://www.isunshare.com/blog/how-do-i-reset-my-hp-laptop-with-windows-7-to-factory-settings/

you can download the win 10 installer from here: win 10 media creation tool run that program and create either a dvd or usb, your choice
change boot order so USB or DVD 1st, hdd second
boot from installer
now if you have your serial code you could fresh install win 10 from here
just follow http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html
you sort of need that code, even to put win 7 back on...

Raj_13

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Colif,
The solutions you suggest are all prompting to restore if I have a Restore/backup CD of win 7 or 10. That I do not, unfortunately, neither I created a boot cd as a backup (duhhh me!) . I shall try Hiren's boot CD first and look into your suggestions too, later.
Thnx though, much. Best - raj13

Raj_13

Commendable
May 24, 2016
hi, after the laptop was off fro few days, I powered it on. It got me the 'repair-restore mode' and I tried restoring to old status. That at least brought me to the old windows 7 spot. and the laptop is working. but to upgrade it to win10, I shall wait!
First, I should do a "full copy/save" of the win7 OS as a 'ghost' or something... you folks can suggest me how to do it pls? I shall truly appreciate that.
Waiting for your replies.
Thank you all and best,
raj_13