• Hey there, Guest! Share your idea for a new trophy in the forums and win bragging rights and a $100 Amazon gift card! Check out the New Community Trophy Contest here!
  • Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Lost Windows 2000 Pro CD - How Do I Reinstall OS?

I have a Dell with MS2000 Professional and want to re-install the OS but have
no CD. I am not sure if it even came with one. How do I get one, or how do
re-install the OS? Dell? Microsoft?

The computer is a P3 1Ghz and I don't really want to spend anything on it.

Thanks,

Barry

If it was an OEM CD then you'll need to contact Dell

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

pekoe wrote:
> I have a Dell with MS2000 Professional and want to re-install the OS
> but have no CD. I am not sure if it even came with one. How do I
> get one, or how do re-install the OS? Dell? Microsoft?
>
> The computer is a P3 1Ghz and I don't really want to spend anything
> on it.

Does it still have the licence sticker on the case?

If so then just get a CDR of windows 2000 from someone and install it from
that

--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk
www.sffh.co.uk
www.ebayfaq.co.uk

It does have the sticker - the trick is finding someone who uses 2000. Most
people use XP.

Thanks for the tip, though!

pekoe wrote:
> I have a Dell with MS2000 Professional and want to re-install the OS but have
> no CD. I am not sure if it even came with one. How do I get one, or how do
> re-install the OS? Dell? Microsoft?
>
> The computer is a P3 1Ghz and I don't really want to spend anything on it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barry

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

pekoe wrote:
> It does have the sticker - the trick is finding someone who uses
> 2000. Most people use XP.

If you were in the Uk I know plenty of people who would be able to help you
out.